Using the Sony DSR-300 for a feature film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 8th, 2005, 01:30 PM   #1
New Boot

Using the Sony DSR-300 for a feature film

From what I know this camera is for broadcasting and journalism. Would it also be appropriate for a feature?

How does the DSR-300 compare with the Panasonic DVX-100 in terms of picture quality? I know about the 24p that the DVX has but overall which camera would you say is superior?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
James Osman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 02:02 PM   #2
Wrangler

If you are going to do a feature film, I'd say neither camera is the right one.

Both are standard definition and that would be an issue these days. I would imagine the distribution companies are starting to receive evaluation movies in HD or HDV all the time. A SD movie might just be at a disadvantage from the get-go. The 300 isn't wide screen (don't remember about the panny) and that's another knock.

The 300 is much easier to work with because of the all-manual lens, the shallower depth of field, an ability to use prime lenses if you wish, and the controls are more accessible. Plus, if you move to a 390 or so, you can remote the camera controls so the camera operator doesn't have to worry about those issues.

I know some folks who have done feature films. Generally, the cost of using the camera is a minor part of the operation. I'd look into renting a a pro format HD or HDV camera.

OTOH, if you have either one of the cameras you mentioned and no money at all, either one will work fine. I know that features have been shot in both cameras.

If I were shooting a SD feature, I'd go for a DSR-570WS myself even though I own a DSR-300.
Old August 9th, 2005, 08:56 PM   #3
New Boot

Hey Mike,

thanks very much for your response. I have one more quick question. does the DSR300 have a "film look" function that emulates the look of film? if it does how effective is it?

thank you.
James Osman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 09:44 PM   #4
Wrangler

It does not have a specific look although the DSP reaches further on both ends of the exposure to do fairly well. But you would have to add a film-like Gamma correction in post.

It does have True-Eye Process, a skin tone focus softening ( the talent likes this one), DynaLatitude which helps handle very wide ranges of light and you can stretch or compress the blacks.

It also has a Freeze Mix function which will allow you to take a previously recorded shot and superimpose it on the viewfinder so you can reposition the talent.

It also records the camera setup on the tape during a shot so you know what the shooting parameters are on previous footage.

As a Sony rep told me, the footage from a DSR-300 is virtually identical to a DSR-570 as long as you are shooting 4:3. I'm not certain I totally agree but it is so close as to not make much difference.

It is still a very good camera and will beat my PD150 in everything but absolute low light capability. The DSR-370 got that back if you go to a younger camera.

Did I mention the sound is quieter than most of the smaller cameras?

Plus the fully manual lens allows you to do rack focus, follow-focus, respond imperceptably to light changes, etc.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion