ND Filter and Contrast Range at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old September 1st, 2005, 05:43 PM   #1
Major Player

ND Filter and Contrast Range

Will putting the ND filter on, open the iris more so as to increase the contrast range for light?

Last edited by Richard Zlamany; September 1st, 2005 at 11:17 PM.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 06:19 PM   #2
Wrangler

For all practical purposes, the only thing that opening the aperature will do to compensate for inserting a ND filter is decrease the depth of field.
Old September 1st, 2005, 11:17 PM   #3
Major Player

I had to hope and ask. Thanks you.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 07:37 AM   #4
Major Player

Mike, your comment is timely for me. I've had a brief discussion recently on the Yahoo VX2000 group about adding an ND filter when shooting in bright sunlight, to push the aperture down to f 4 - f 4.8, where the camera does its best work. Yesterday I shot an hour in mid-morning sunshine in an area I've covered on three prior occasions lately, without the additional filter. I reviewed the tape last night and liked the result, although I need to gather some more experience on manual exposure with the filter in place. I've read many times that reducing the dof in miniDV is very difficult so my question is, what do I give up/lose in shooting with the ND.6 in place. It's been suggested that any filter will soften the image somewhat, but assuming one is ok with the visual results from a sharpness perspective, what else should I be concerned about?

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 10:25 AM   #5
Wrangler

You would need to measure for any sharpness diffences between a bare lens and using an external good quality filter. Internal filters, which the switched ND filters are even better.

I don't believe there is anything to be concerned about in any situation using the switched ND filters as long as you meet your exposure goals.

Externally, as long as you use multi-coated filters from the best suppliers, you will not have any problems except, maybe, from light hitting a surface and causing a bit of internal reflection. But with good multi-coated filters, that is rare.

Just keep them clean.
Old September 5th, 2005, 04:10 PM   #6
Major Player

Why is f4 to f4.8 considered where the pd170 does its best work?
Old September 5th, 2005, 04:19 PM   #7
Wrangler

All lens designs have a point at which all the elements are optimized for maximum performance. Sharpness, chromatic aberations, field flatness, geometric distortion, and more are all broght as good as possible at a specific aperature. That is typically about 2 f-stops below the maximum aperature.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion