Sony ECM-C115 lavalier mic hardwired to PD, not sure at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old September 6th, 2005, 09:11 AM   #1
New Boot

Sony ECM-C115 lavalier mic hardwired to PD, not sure

Hi.
Im low on budget, since i just purchased my PD. I just wanna shoot a semi-pro home video, n plan to interview a mate at a distance of about 10 feet away from the camera, using the Sony lavalier mic hardwired directly to the PD's XLR input.

But im not sure how exactly should i do this correctly.
How about this configuration:
PD > XLR female to XLR male 20ft balanced > ....?..... > Sony ECM-C115.

I might get a fishpole n a shotgun later, but for now, i only need to solve this puzzle.
Thanks in advance!
Old September 6th, 2005, 09:38 AM   #2
Wrangler

Once you purchase or make a proper XLR terminated cable, the connections work out automatically. Camera/cable/Lav or is that Sony microphone not a balanced setup? If not, the type of cable you use is inmaterial as the setup is not balanced. Not that it won't work but it just isn't balanced.

Do a Google search for 3-pin XLR audio connections and it will tell you which is + & _ signal and ground. You will have to wire the microphone across the + & - wires (easiest just to get an new XLR connector and wire the microphone in that way.

As long as you stay away from electrical noise sources, you should be OK.

Another way to do this is to use the camera's microphone taped to a piece of plastic water pipe over the interviewees head and then you will have a balanced system.
Old September 6th, 2005, 09:54 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks mike.

I found out tht the Sony ECM-C115 is an unbalanced mic, output= 3.5mm stereo phone.

Do u think i should avoid it, and save more money n get a proper lavalier mic (XLR output)? i think i should..

The idea of using the stock mic is practically ok for my situation now. I didnt think of it.
So the setup would be=
PD > 20ft balanced XLR female - male > The stock PD mic (and the PVC pipe!)

and i shoudl stay away from any electrical noise sources..roger tht.
Old September 6th, 2005, 01:13 PM   #4
Wrangler

You have it. The stock microphone isn't terribly sensitive but up close, it isn't a bad microphone. Certainly better than most of the consumer microphones. Just hang it slightly above camera frame and slightly to the front of the speaker's face. For normal use, you will like the results.

Yes, I'd get a pro lav when you can. That said, there are much better sounding microphones for capturing talking heads. No shotguns as they aren't much better than a lav. A nice Cardiod would be worth investigating.

The 'stay away from electrical noise' comment was for the unbalanced setup. Within reason, a balanced arrangement is fairly noise-free in that regard. Just remember to cross power lines at 90 degrees to minimize induced voltages and keep away from flourescent lights.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion