DSR-PD170 won't record or sense tape at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old February 26th, 2015, 07:38 PM   #1
Tourist

DSR-PD170 won't record or sense tape

Hey DVInfo! Just bought a used DSR-PD170 but it seems to not record or even sense when there is a tape. The guy sold it to me with what I am guessing is an off-brand battery, as i get the "use infoLithium battery only" message when I try to turn it on, unless there is a tape in the device. When I insert a tape in and then turn it on, it all seems to work properly (it stays on) except for that it will not sense when I put a tape in the camcorder. It just says standby, with no time-code on the upper-right. when I try to press record, the standby just starts flashing, then the little no tape logo comes up for about half a second, then it goes back to the normal screen with the solid standby. The camera seems to make a sort of sad, broken noise after every couple seconds it tries to read the tape, with no success. even after I shut the camera off it still make occasional beeps and attempts at reading the tape. This is my first miniDV camera so i have no idea if its broken heads or what the problem is. I do not have any head cleaning tapes, but the seller said the heads were clean already. There are also no repair stores in my area that work on miniDV cameras now, so if I need repair I will have to mail it in and not be able to get a free quote. I'm just wondering if it is a simple problem, like me using the wrong type of battery or wrong brand of tape (using sony right now), or if the heads need to be cleaned or what. What does the problem seem like to you guys?
Frankie Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 09:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: DSR-PD170 won't record or sense tape

It seems like you bought a broken camera. Those symptoms are not the result of heads that need cleaning.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 10:02 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I agree with Les. The issue is not the battery or heads needing to be cleaned but sounds more like a transport mechanism problem. If at all possible return the camera to the person you purchased it from and get your money back.
If that's not possible then you need to find a shop in your area that can work on the camera. There has to be one located somewhere in your area.
Old February 26th, 2015, 11:55 PM   #4
Inner Circle

While the off-brand batt might in fact be problematic, I agree that it's unlikely that all this is due to that. Get your money back.

If you have to keep it, just make the trip to Burbank to the Sony Pro repair facility. They can look at it and tell you what the problem is in about 45 seconds. (That is, if they're still there. Been a while since I used them.)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion