Rain cover for VX2100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old December 9th, 2005, 09:12 AM   #1
Major Player

Rain cover for VX2100

Hello,

I probably have to buy a rain cover for my VX2100 and seems like there are various types available. I'm currently considering these two:

1) http://cgi.ebay.com/Pro-Rain-Cover-f...QQcmdZViewItem

2) http://www.globalmediapro.com/video/...ver--1157.html

Which one do you think is more professional and the best? Personally I'm leaning towards the first one.

Thanks!
Georg Liigand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 09:45 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I use this one from Porta Brace:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

A little more expensive, but great quality and works perfectly with the VX2100.
Sheila Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 09:49 AM   #3
Wrangler

The Kata rain cover comes with the Sony 'Kit' for the 150/170. I think it is OK for a very light rain but I'd still want an umbrella.

Go for the Porta Brace. It will last longer and give you more protection too.

I don't use one of these because the genre really don't protect everything on the camera. Especially the front of the lens. I'd look into one of the 'bag' products that are designed to allow full submergence of the camera to shallow depths.

Whatever you buy, strongly consider buying it from B&H rather than the company that has the ebay listing.
Old December 9th, 2005, 10:18 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for your help!

The Porta Brace seems very neat, but is rather expensive and I probably don't want to spend such amount on the rain cover as I don't film in rainy or snowy conditions too much.

I see the problem with having the front of the lens uncovered and maybe one way out would be to wear an UV-filter. The lens hood would still get wet, but that shouldn't be a too big contra anymore.

I guess that I should then go for the Kata cover if choosing between the two and if my need for such product increases, I could think about the Porta Brace as well.

By the way, could you someone please give me suggestions for filming in cold conditions? During the winter (including an event tomorrow) I will have to film a lot in conditions where the temperature is near -3...-10 degrees Celsius and it probably means a lot lower battery time. Are there any other things that could go worse on the camera in the cold and how big is the possibility of humidity building up in the camera which would cause the DEW warning and forbid me from filming?

I'll probably have to wear gloves too and this will certainly make the filming more complicated.
Old December 9th, 2005, 04:18 PM   #5
Wrangler

Just remember the lens (and the camera) has more openings than you would imagine. They get dirt inside fairly easily so you can imaging what will happen if water runs back on the hood and gets to the front elements.

Condensation will be a problem. Sony discusses it in the camera manual and if you do a search on these forums, you will find a great deal on that subject IIRC.

The only way to combat cold batteries is to keep them warm. Either an Arctic cover for the camera or a battery pack inside your coat and a cable to the camera.

Keep your tape stock in an inside pocket too. Or at least let it warm up for a few hours before you stuff it in a transport and roll it.
Old December 11th, 2005, 06:54 AM   #6
Major Player

I use a large, white, plastic grocery bag to cover my VX2100, that I hold on a steadying rod, when it's raining. When the rain stops, I take it off and shoot pictures. When it rains again, it goes back on and I bide my time. You can't argue about the price and it doesn't rain all that much when I'm outside, anyway. If anyone asks what I'm carrying on the stick under the bag, I tell them it's my pet parrot and that he hates the rain.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2005, 02:24 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for the input, everyone! Stephen, your idea seems quite good! :) I've thought of doing the same, but when it's raining here, then it doesn't stop that fast and I would need better protection in such case.

I did the filming just fine on Saturday (the customer was fortunately also satisfied) and despite the cold weather (my hands almost freezed inside the gloves) it came out good. The camera was perfect and can't make any complaints about it. The batteries also lasted longer than I expected and although my shorter-life F970 (don't ask why shorter!!! - no idea!) ran empty, the F960 which I later plugged in would have powered the camera for at least 4-5 hours more I guess. I really love the rugged design of the VX/PD and even when it was snowing a bit in the middle, I felt that the camera was quite safe as there were no places the snow could find its way into the equipment. Okay, there might be some space near the buttons, but it's still a well protected camera. I especially like the steady video I got on that event. I shot 95% by hand (it was a modelcar race and I moved around different curves, jumps etc) and my friend kept asking that did you shoot this on tripod? :D The stabilizer on VX2100 compared to my previous Panasonic GS400 is absolutely awesome and it never makes such amateurish quick jumps from one position to another - everything is very smooth. The only thing which I was a bit unhappy with, was the auto-focus. I did use manual in some cases, but it was a complicated situation for filming and I decided to leave that job for the cam. Unfortunately it often took too long to adjust the focus, but maybe it was because of the snowy land.

Here are some framegrabs for you:

http://georg.skyfilmproductions.com/...intercup/1.jpg
http://georg.skyfilmproductions.com/...intercup/2.jpg
http://georg.skyfilmproductions.com/...intercup/3.jpg
http://georg.skyfilmproductions.com/...intercup/4.jpg
http://georg.skyfilmproductions.com/...intercup/5.jpg

I know the second shot might scare you a bit and it came very unexpected to myself as well. I never thought that something like this could happen in that curve with so small cars! Amazingly the camera didn't get pretty much any of that snowload as I somehow managed to quickly point it away from it. Learning from own mistakes again...
Old December 12th, 2005, 04:03 PM   #8
Supports LPFM Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georg Liigand
The Porta Brace seems very neat, but is rather expensive and I probably don't want to spend such amount on the rain cover
The question isn't so much "can you afford a good rain cover?" as it is "can you afford for your camera to get wet?"

You might also want to check out the PRC-DV from Petrol.

<http://www.petrolbags.com/new_petrol_site/>

I like most of Petrol's stuff (same with Porta-Brace and much Kata), so it's worth considering. Though I've had good luck with the Porta-Brace rain cover on my PD150...

Quote:
By the way, could you someone please give me suggestions for filming in cold conditions?
Keep the spare batteries in your pocket near your body (or somewhere else warm).

Be careful about moving the camera from cold exteriors to warm interiors...you want to avoid condensation. Maybe keep the camera outside as much as possible (OK wiseguys, in a case and in the trunk of a car...but you get the idea). Keep some dessicant (am I spelling that right?...the little condensation-removing packs) in your camera case.

Get some gloves/mitts that let you flip up the mitten part to expose your finger tips...and maybe wear some thin glove liners, too so your finger tips don't get too cold.

There are many such glove/mitts. Here's an example of one:

<http://www.gemplers.com/a/shop/product.asp?T1=122067L&UID=200512121602162817597207>

Move somewhere warmer...I don't know nearly as much about cold-weather shooting as many on this list. Let's hope they chime in...

Best,

Jim
Jim Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 04:55 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
The batteries also lasted longer than I expected and although my shorter-life F970 (don't ask why shorter!!! - no idea!) ran empty, the F960 which I later plugged in would have powered the camera for at least 4-5 hours more I guess.
Georg, I don't have any 970s, just 960s, so I don't know if this explanation holds true for them-----but, years ago, I had several NP-1 NiCad batteries for my ED-Beta camcorder (uses the same as Beta SP). I had two chargers that were specifically made for the NP-1. Then, I added a new, higher capacity NP-1A to my collection. Although it had about
15% more potential capacity, the NP-1A would only take about 80% as much charge on my NP-1 chargers. The NP-1A and also the NP-1B need chargers that are tuned to them. Perhaps the lower capacity you are getting from the NP-F970 is due to the same situation with the charger, although I think that all this series of Sony batteries are supposed to charge properly on their own brand of chargers. Also, there may be a need to run the new battery through a few charge/discharge cycles, before it takes the fullest charge.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion