headphones at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old December 27th, 2002, 10:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

headphones

hello,

now that i have my me66/k6. i was thinking of getting a heaphone. do i need one? do people really use them to monitor sound? what would be a good one around $100? and what do user on this forum recommend?

thanks again,
Ray Saavedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2002, 11:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I use a pair of Roland RH-50 High-Definition Headphones, and love them. I use them just about evry day, and not just for video. They also work good for monitoring sound on my Electric Guitar, and wen I am DJing. I do not no how much they go for in the U.S but I paid $60 up hear in Canada (they were on sale at the time Though).

Alex

P.S. Congratulations on the new mic, the 66 is a wonderful peace of equipment
Alex Ratson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2002, 05:30 AM   #3
Regular Crew

hi,

in the gl2-forum has lately been a discussion about headphones. most recommend the sony mdr-7506:
http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Professiona...lInfo?id=52568
you can get it at b&h for 99$: here

the headphone-thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=5619
Old December 28th, 2002, 01:31 PM   #4
Wrangler

I use different headphones depending on what I am doing.

Hardshell when I am in a studio and recording critical sound

Sony noise-cancelling when I have to move around, especially outside and need to be able to hear external events like people (the director) talking to me during a shoot or when riding with the police.

I still like my Koss Pro4A's a lot.

Of course you might like the Koss ESP-950's at a cool $600.

Were I buying a new pair, I'd compare test the Sony MDR-7506 vs the Sennheiser )I don't know the model # but they cost $199).
Old December 28th, 2002, 02:32 PM   #5
Major Player

I have been using the Sony MDR-7509's and I really love them. They are basically like the 7506's but have a much wider dynamic range. I think Sennheiser makes some with the same range but I didn't feel they were as comfortable, they were a little too loose and I don't want them falling off my head or moving while filming. The 7509's run around $300 but I also have the 7506's and side by side you can hear the difference.
I would find some that are very comfortable to you and have the widest dynamic range you can find in your price range. Try going to a music store like Guitar Center or Mars music, they usually have a very nice selection of pro headphones.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2002, 06:25 PM   #6
Major Player

i will recommend the sony mdr-7506. i've had the same pair for nearly 10 years and have used them everyday for every type of audio application from video to hip-hop production and monitoring multitrack recordings etc. these things are built like tanks though it seems that the foam ear pads tend to come apart after years of abuse but they still function and sound great and havent fallen off the headphones just split at the seams exposing the foam. best $100 i have ever spent.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion