Other accessories for the PD 150 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old December 28th, 2002, 08:38 PM   #1
New Boot

Other accessories for the PD 150

Guys,
I'm still wading through the manual ever so patiently and lovingly for the PD 150,and am becoming more familiar with how the different functions work.Of course,putting the functions to work in real life situations will be the ultimate test of how well one can work the camera,which is why I am devoting more time to going out in different locations and test shooting.
Have a Mighty Wondercam which I just love,and I do feel more comfortable right now with a shoulder mounted system.However,
I am also considering getting a Steadicam JR,being that 1.) I cannot afford a vest system at the moment 2.) Am looking to get
a little bit more balance in my shots,especially during movement.
Anyone on the forum have any experience with the Steadicam JR,
or any other system as such they can recommend?
Thanks to everyone for their feedback and hope everyone had a good
Holiday!
Perry Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2002, 05:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

lack of features..

I learned how to use this camera in no time since it had about the same amount of features as my Sony Hi-8 and the functions were all layed out the same.
Mark Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2002, 02:55 PM   #3
Major Player

don't own one myself, but i too am currently looking into the subject.
you may take a look at the following thread posted here a few months ago:

"Camera Stabilizer"
in Support Your Local Camera
September 18th, 2002
by jacques.mersereau

i'm thinking of building a home made steadicam. since they are supposed to be really easy to to put together and material to make one only costs about $20-$40, i figure it's worth trying. worst case senario - it does a bad job and i'm down $40. but if it does similar work that a $600-$1000 piece of equipment does....

as i said, i have no experience with steadicams, so if anyone feels i'm completely off, please say so.
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2003, 01:49 PM   #4
New Boot

Adi Head,

Right on!! I'm thinking of doing the same thing myself right now,and am in the process of looking at some vests and other
particulars.Seems to me it's highway robbery that the price of a stabilization system can jump tremendously just because a vest
and support is included. Give me a break!...
Perry Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2003, 04:28 PM   #5
Major Player

if you're interested perry, take a look at the thread i posted, titled HOME BUILT STEADICAMS in the SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL CAMERA board. it got quite a bit of response and tips on the subject.
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2003, 11:29 AM   #6
Major Player

I have used a home-made (built by a friend) steady cam before and it was ok but was very tiring (too heavy and too bulky, not a good design). I am considering the Glidecam 2000 (or 4000). I have heard some very good things about it and I like some of the accessories available to it (like the forearm brace). I just think a lot of the others look a little "cheap". I have a SONY shoulder rig I bought a few years ago but I only use the controller grip from it now. I think I could build a pretty nice one myself (coming from an industrial design background) but it would be cheaper for me to just buy one because I would want it made of carbon fiber and titanium and have all this custom manufacturing involved. (can you tell I have actually already considered it?)
Try making one just to see if you like it but I think it is better to buy one that has already been engineered.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2003, 10:15 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I've got the Glidecam 4000 and the forearm brace.

With a fully loaded PD150 (big battery, wide angle lens, filter box with filters, lcd magnifier)... it's a pretty heavy setup.

Not for the faint of heart, I assure you. But very handy for those smooth shots that would be impossible otherwise.

If I don't NEED it, I don't use it. It's gets heavy after a short time.

I am sure you could build one (I considered it) but it's all in the balance and the gimbal. If you don't have a good gimbal... you haven't got anything. Ditto for balance.
Old January 4th, 2003, 10:21 AM   #8
Major Player

Doug

I have a glidecam 4000, with a pd150 and i can't get the thing to balance for the life of me.

Doug what would be an amazing help is if you could post some pictures of exactly how you have it setup, so i can get an idea of what i am doing wrong.

thanx,

zac

p.s people with the glidecam 2000 and pd150 could you post as well, i am sure both are similar enough to help me out.
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2003, 10:35 AM   #9
Rextilleon

Have you guys tried the SteadyTracker that is sold by Pro-Max---I love the damn thing----and it is very reasonably priced---
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2003, 02:06 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Re: Doug

<<<-- Originally posted by Kermie Klien : I have a glidecam 4000, with a pd150 and i can't get the thing to balance for the life of me.

Doug what would be an amazing help is if you could post some pictures of exactly how you have it setup, so i can get an idea of what i am doing wrong.

thanx,

zac

p.s people with the glidecam 2000 and pd150 could you post as well, i am sure both are similar enough to help me out. -->>>

Kermie:

Sorry for the delay... these things take time, and time is short!

Here's a link to my set up:

http://www.homesellersatlanta.com/glide_photos.htm

Hopefully, this will help you.

P.S. Take note that I extended the pole somewhat to reduce the amount of washers to add to balance the low end. I figured it was better than simply adding more weight to an already heavy setup.

This is fully dressed with two filters, lcd magnifier, and big battery.
Old January 6th, 2003, 02:45 PM   #11
Major Player

Hey Doug. I have test driven the Glidecam with a PD150 and I said it was basically worthless, IMHO. I would love to see some footage that would make me change my opinion. If there is any way you could put something up on the net, I would appreciate it.

Wayne

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2003, 03:48 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Well, I hope you aren't looking to ME to give you a legitimate clip that will show all the benefits.... cause I'm no good with it yet.

However, in all fairness, I will show you a clip that I used the glidecam (in conjunction with a tripod, as well) so you can at least see an AMATEUR using it.

http://www.homesellersatlanta.com/li...nterburypl.wmv

One day, I am sure, I will get proficient in its use. Until then....
Old January 8th, 2003, 09:51 PM   #13
Jon Ball

I'm also thinking of getting a Steadicam for my PD-150 so thanks very much for pointing us to that footage, Doug. I even noticed a demonstration of how to operate it at about 6 mins 47 secs in. (Look at the reflection in the bathroom mirror!)

On a related subject, I've seen a second hand DV Steadicam on sale locally. Is that better than the current Steadicam JR? I've looked at the Tiffen & Steadicam websites, and it looks like there is no model between the JR and the Mini in the current range so I guess the DV has been discontinued.

There are press releases at http://www.steadicam.com/Press%20Release%20JR%20Color-Tiffen.doc and http://www.steadicam.com/Press%20Release%20JR%20w.o.mon-Tiffen.doc announcing new versions of the JR with and without a monitor respectively. Both specifically give the PD-150 as an example of a camera that can be used with them.

Does anyone know whether these new versions of the JR are genuinely new and improved or whether a second-hand DV would be better?
Old January 9th, 2003, 12:05 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Glad to be of help, Jon.

Since I shoot home videos for real estate marketing, I always have to shoot the bathrooms... and can't always stay out of the picture... occupational hazard, I guess.

I can't help with you the differences between makes or models, as I only know what you know...

I will say that if your PD150 is well dressed, it will take the proper sized unit... or it won't work right.
Old January 9th, 2003, 04:33 PM   #15
Jon Ball

Thanks for that, Doug.

For the info of anyone else in the same situation, since my previous post my partner called a UK Steadicam dealer and they confirmed that the DV Steadicam has been discontinued.

They said it was because it didn't work very well, but they may have just been trying to dissuade us from buying one second hand rather than getting a new Steadicam JR from them!

Jon

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion