Problems with switch from miniDV to DVCAM tapes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old January 7th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #1
Tourist

Problems with switch from miniDV to DVCAM tapes

I am sure this has been posted somewhere, so I apologize if it is redundant... but if anyone can re-direct me it would be welcomed.

I own VX2100 and have used Sony miniDV only, but considering switching to Sony mini DVCAM for durability/dropout prevention. I do alot of shooting in 3rd world situations that offer no "re-shoot." To date I have had no problems with Sony miniDV's but I noticed some discussion about better durability with DVCAM. I guess the main question is if I switch do I still need to have my heads Pro cleaned even though it is same Company?

Thanks,
C. Michael Fairman
C. Michael Fairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 03:20 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi C. Michael,
I think you'll find that DVCam is more influenced by the recording mode of the camera than the tape stock. Certainly your VX2100 won't record Dvcam and the DVcam tapes are quite a bit more expensive for no real gain.
They'll work, but you won't get the supposed security of using DVcam on a DVcam tape.

If you look around the forum many shooters, including myself are using Sony Premium and having no probs...(I'm using them with an FX1 and even in HDV mode I've had no problems in a year of shooting, and 50 odd hours.) Shoot standard SD on these and even in 3rd world situations my guess is you'll be fine.

cheers
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #3
Wrangler

DVCam tape is indeed more rugged and the cassette enclosure is made stronger and probably more accurately whether you are talking about the full-size or mini-DV cassettes.

DVCam and the cassettes labeled as such were designed for the linear editing environment of the broadcast news field trucks. Lots of tape reuse, lots of slamming it back and forth on their decks.

So it certainly will take more abuse from that standpoint. Should be more environmentally stable too.

But frankly, if you are shooting in an environment that is as tough as you say and there are no second opportunities, that's where I'd be go all the way and shoot in DVCam format, Not DV.
Old January 8th, 2006, 03:21 AM   #4
Trustee

I like this option better, but it is not as portable: get a second small miniDV camera that uses the same batteries as your primary. Send the primary's video out the firewire to the firewire input of the tiny camera. This way, you can get two copies of your tape simultaneously. I used to do this during weddings with my VX2000 and a TRV900 that I kept in a camera bag with a waist belt.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 09:48 AM   #5
Tourist

Thanks Folks, all of your advice is very helpful. I've never had any issues with Sony miniDV's tapes is past, but I was curious none the less. Anyway, Thanks again.
C. Michael Fairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 01:28 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I am going to use the PD170, if i want to shoot on dvcam do i need MiniDVcam tapes or can i just use miniDV?
Simon Antoniou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 01:36 PM   #7
Wrangler

You can use any mini DV tape. The format of the data on the tape and the speed at which it runs is different, but it's still the same 1's and 0's and it will record in DVCAM just fine on regular tape. Of course, Mike has listed some other possible reasons why you might want to use DVCAM tapes...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 12:14 PM   #8
Regular Crew

is it always better to use new tapes with nothing on them instead of recording over old footage? less dropouts? or no differernce?
Simon Antoniou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 09:36 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Antoniou
is it always better to use new tapes with nothing on them instead of recording over old footage? less dropouts? or no differernce?

I have the same question... is there a loss in quality if you record over all footage?

and also... is there any difference between the different mini dv tape brands? It seems like sony alone makes at least 3 versions
Ryan Leiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 09:43 PM   #10
Wrangler

Guys, the signal is digital, not analog and tape quality as you mean it means nothing. As long as there is enough recording medium on the tape backing, it will record a perfect signal.

I always used the cheapest Sony brand in my Sony cameras and never ever have had a drop-out.

The only time I use DVCam tape is when I use my DSR-300 which is DVCam only. Even when I turn advertising in to the TV station, it is DV tape recorded in DVCam.

As for reusing tape? Yes, you can do so and I've done so. But DV tape isn't designed for much reuse (DVCam is). And if you buy it in bulk, it is so cheap compared to the effort and other expenses that its expense is down in the noise level.
Old August 1st, 2006, 10:18 PM   #11
Major Player

I have been doing a test reusing DV tapes. I've recorded 10 times on two tapes, almost filling the tapes, and have no drop outs. The tapes are pannies 83 minutes.

I don't know if 10 times is a lot, but I feel that this is the limit of the tapes. After 10 times I am ready to move on to another tape.

Part of me wants to continue the test, but I am starting to get worried that the tapes can't take much more use/abuse.

However, I am careful with the tapes by always keeping them in cases and storing them properly.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 12:34 AM   #12
Regular Crew

You will find information about the difference between MiniDV tape and DVCAM tape, when used in a MiniDV camera, at http://www.taperesource.com/mini_dv_tapes.html#article5

Duane
Duane Burleson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #13
Trustee

I don't know if this has been mentioned as I didn't read all the responses and don't get to these boards as often as I used to, and it may be slightly off topic but, something to keep in mind is that even some of the lower level consumer Sony camcorders will actually play back DVCam tapes. It's not advertised but, I shoot with a PDX-10 and can play back the DVCam tapes in my DSR-11 or other DVCam deck AND my lowly consumer TRV-18 camera as well. I hear several other Sony consumer camcorders will playback DVCam as well. Just something to keep in mind.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion