Anything you DON'T like on the VX2100? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old January 30th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #16
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Stephen McDonald
ind the 15fps progressive video mode to be next to useless.
There is one interesting use... timelapse video. If you're going to be speeding your footage up in post anyway, this is one way to get high quality progressive images.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 03:51 AM   #17
Inner Circle

I'm right with Stephen in that the 'on-axis requirement' of the VX2100's viewfinder is a positive regression from the excellent v'finder fitted to the VX2000.

One thing I'd not realised though was that the VX2k1 has a mechanical shutter for stills to Memopry stick. I've not seen this documented anywhere, or even heard it working. You can certainly hear it working on my 3 chip Panasonic, but I'd always assumed the shutter was electronic on my VX, regardless of the shooting mode.

Like he says though, the 640 x 480 stills (same on my PAL model BTW) defy their miserable physical dimensions, and I have perfectly acceptable glossy A4 prints from stills. Due in part to the 3 HAD chips, the lens' excellent resolving power at f/4 and the high shutter speeds you can use instead of the ND filters.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 11:50 AM   #18
Wrangler

There is no mechanical shutter. What you hear, probably on your Panasonic also, is a realistic sound track of a shutter operating.
Old January 31st, 2006, 01:04 PM   #19
Inner Circle

That sounds (ha!) like sense Mike, but my MX300 owners handbook states that when stills are taken to flash memory an interlens mechanical shutter is used. Ear close to the lens certainly sounds like this is happening. Haven't taken one apart yet to see if it's true.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 05:12 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rehmus
There is no mechanical shutter. What you hear, probably on your Panasonic also, is a realistic sound track of a shutter operating.
Well now, could the "mechanical shutter" be nothing more than an urban myth? Could all the reviewers and dealers who describe a mechanical shutter, have been snared in a mass-deception? What would be the manner in which these cameras could produce such a real-sounding rendition of a mechanical device and all its metallic clicks and scrapings? Might it be, instead of a recording, a dummy device that actually slides in and out, giving us that so-satisfying sound and the assurance that we have successfully snapped another great shot? Do I have to do an autopsy on my camera, to find out? How can I sleep another night, until I have the answers?
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 05:31 PM   #21
Wrangler

I said probably, not definately on the Panasonic.

While I admire your clever correction, it is getting very close to the line with the sarcasm.
Old January 31st, 2006, 07:12 PM   #22
Major Player

Sony VX2100 Webpage Describing Mechanical Shutter

On this Sony webpage, it describes the VX2100 as having a mechanical shutter system, that provides progressive scan performance with an interlaced scanning system, for still pictures. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to Progressive Shutter System:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...ycamCamcorders
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 07:59 PM   #23
Wrangler

That is good information. Thank you for posting it and I stand corrected.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion