Few more questions. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old January 25th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Few more questions.

Well I got the refund and deposited my check from the lemon PD150 I recieved last week. If it clears by tommorow, I will overnighting payment and recieving the new camera (from Patrick M on here) 2 days later. I just had a few more questions:
1) I will be using a low hour Panasonic PV-GS120 as my deck. I plan to only run sony tapes in the PD, while I use only panasonic tapes in the GS. Is it ok to import my sony tapes on the panasonic camera?
2) How do you get the camera to display the audio levels on the screen? When i had the lemon PD, before I reset it it was displaying the audio levels on screen, but I couldn't figure out how to do it again.
3) Is pressing the CP button on the handle how you are supposed to set up color and white balance and all that? I couldn't figure that out either.
Thanks,
Rob
Rob Hochberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #2
Major Player

Hello,

1) There's no difference what tapes you use, it's just recommended to stay with one brand. No matter whether it's Sony in the Panasonic camera or Panasonic in the Sony cam.

2) Audio levels can be set via the menus. I think that if you put audio gain to manual, they will display all the time, but if you are in full auto, you can see them only by pressing AUDIO LEVEL.

3) I personally don't touch the CP much. White balance is set via the dedicated white balance button (choose presets or measure correct WB). CP can be used to set colour saturation and warm or cool the look of your video, but I believe you won't need it too much. If you are producing a film, then it's better to do such stuff in post.
Georg Liigand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 06:50 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I kinda disagree about the CP but thats just me. I like it and use all the time-it helps to match the 150 to a JVC 5000. Anyway the way to get to the menu is this;
Press the CP button on the handle-then press the all for one wheel on the lower left of the camera. By pressing it you will now "open" the menu to make adjustments to turn it on or off, set the color level,sharpness, WB (which I rarely touch in the CP menu) and you can set the Gain Limit.
You have to go into the menu to turn the CP on or off but its not a big deal.

AS for the audio - go into the menu-use the wheel to scroll down to the fifth icon down-it looks like a tape-and in there you will find the audio set. In that you can do a lot of stuf. Seperate the channels, turn AGC on or off on each channel, link or seperate the gain.
Then when using the camera again the wheel is your friend-you can push the button to the left of the wheel and that will display the meter bars. Then by pushing the wheel you can adjust the individual channels audio levels if they are set to MANUAL and SEPERATE in the menu. See I told you the whell is your friend.
I agree about the tapes, pick one brand and stick to it. If the cam you're going to use as a deck has run othr brands thru it then do a head clean before running the other brand of tapes thru it to lload up into your NLE
HTHs
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 08:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom
I kinda disagree about the CP but thats just me. I like it and use all the time-it helps to match the 150 to a JVC 5000. Anyway the way to get to the menu is this;
Press the CP button on the handle-then press the all for one wheel on the lower left of the camera. By pressing it you will now "open" the menu to make adjustments to turn it on or off, set the color level,sharpness, WB (which I rarely touch in the CP menu) and you can set the Gain Limit.
You have to go into the menu to turn the CP on or off but its not a big deal.

AS for the audio - go into the menu-use the wheel to scroll down to the fifth icon down-it looks like a tape-and in there you will find the audio set. In that you can do a lot of stuf. Seperate the channels, turn AGC on or off on each channel, link or seperate the gain.
Then when using the camera again the wheel is your friend-you can push the button to the left of the wheel and that will display the meter bars. Then by pushing the wheel you can adjust the individual channels audio levels if they are set to MANUAL and SEPERATE in the menu. See I told you the whell is your friend.
I agree about the tapes, pick one brand and stick to it. If the cam you're going to use as a deck has run othr brands thru it then do a head clean before running the other brand of tapes thru it to lload up into your NLE
HTHs
Don
OK, but how do I get it so the audio levels are displayed on screen all the time? I don't really care about the deck, once I record on the tape in the PD and take it out, I don't plan on putting it back in. The only exception I can think of is if I don't record the whole tape, which happens sometimes.
Old January 25th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Once you've set the audio properties in the audio set menu IF either channel was set to manual the audio will show up on the LCD and in the VF UNLESS....
The DISPLAY button is set not to display. Been there done that-in the haste I hit the button (don't ask how-still haven't figured it out nor can I duplicate the trick) but I did and I lost ALL display in the LCD-It took me about a minute to realize what happened I pushed the display button and all was well in videoland again!
If you have the audio set to AUTO the metrs won't display at all.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks you guys. I will play around with the settings when I get it sometime next week. Can't wait!
Old January 26th, 2006, 10:36 PM   #7
New Boot

Im not really a pro (n my english isnt too) but i have produced good lookin videos with my PD150 so far. About the CP, to me its one of the functions i use regularly, every project. Yes, u can tweak around the video in post, but it would be a time-consuming process. Its always better to have everything adjusted, levelld in production. I dont do film/movie, I use my PD for freelance event videography job.
Lightings can be tricky when u do events, u cant always control them like u control lightings in film. This is where CP can be very helpful, like for example, i just shot a wedding, it was at night, the couple wanted a warm, yellowish tone. They were wearing orange, the walls are painted orange too, and the decorations were yellow. I have my tungsten 300watt daylight at one corner, mixed with the house lights which were warm tones. I played around with the setting first, hookin the camera up to a small 14 inch tv. Ive tried different WB settings, including manual setting on a white card n the couple agrreed on Outdoor, but they thought it was a bit too warm. So i used the CP to adjust the color balance, diald 3 notches down to Cold/Blue, while using WB=Outdoor, and the video looks great. In CP u will also find sharpness level, and i prefer the default setting for most of the time, one/two notch down for closeups in weddings, one notch up mainly for kids events (kindergarden..etc).
Audio meter, if u set it to manual, it wili be displayd on the lcd & evf. On Auto, it wont show up, unless u hit the audio level button, but it covers up much of the screen area in the middle, so i dont use it when its on Auto.
Have fun with your PD, itsa good camera.
Old January 27th, 2006, 11:32 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabil Nakim
Im not really a pro (n my english isnt too) but i have produced good lookin videos with my PD150 so far. About the CP, to me its one of the functions i use regularly, every project. Yes, u can tweak around the video in post, but it would be a time-consuming process. Its always better to have everything adjusted, levelld in production. I dont do film/movie, I use my PD for freelance event videography job.
Lightings can be tricky when u do events, u cant always control them like u control lightings in film. This is where CP can be very helpful, like for example, i just shot a wedding, it was at night, the couple wanted a warm, yellowish tone. They were wearing orange, the walls are painted orange too, and the decorations were yellow. I have my tungsten 300watt daylight at one corner, mixed with the house lights which were warm tones. I played around with the setting first, hookin the camera up to a small 14 inch tv. Ive tried different WB settings, including manual setting on a white card n the couple agrreed on Outdoor, but they thought it was a bit too warm. So i used the CP to adjust the color balance, diald 3 notches down to Cold/Blue, while using WB=Outdoor, and the video looks great. In CP u will also find sharpness level, and i prefer the default setting for most of the time, one/two notch down for closeups in weddings, one notch up mainly for kids events (kindergarden..etc).
Audio meter, if u set it to manual, it wili be displayd on the lcd & evf. On Auto, it wont show up, unless u hit the audio level button, but it covers up much of the screen area in the middle, so i dont use it when its on Auto.
Have fun with your PD, itsa good camera.
Thanks for your post, it was really helpful.
Rob Hochberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion