Century .3x Fisheye - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 11th, 2006, 08:22 PM   #16
Regular Crew

but will there be an difference in distortion using the bayonet rather than screw on mount? screw on seems like it will be further from the lense making more distortion, while the bayonet will be closer and minimizing the distortion?
Chris Ruona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 08:53 PM   #17
Wrangler

The same lens with two different mounts still has to have its elements at the same position relative to the camera lens.

So if you mean optical distortion, there will be no difference. If you mean mechanical distortion, probably so slight as to be negligible.

The bayonet also attaches/detaches much quicker.
Old April 11th, 2006, 10:25 PM   #18
Regular Crew

also, is there any difference between a "vx2000" century fisheye and a "vx2100" fisheye? i noticed the different focal lengths and such. does this apply between the cameras?
Old April 12th, 2006, 01:39 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ruona
also, is there any difference between a "vx2000" century fisheye and a "vx2100" fisheye? i noticed the different focal lengths and such. does this apply between the cameras?
The Sony add-on lenses have about 2 to 3 times as many threads to unwind on my VX2100, as I have had with other cameras. This can be annoying, when speed is essential, even though it makes it a more secure and durable attachment. I would prefer them to have bayonet mounts for speed, but then, I couldn't use them on other cameras.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 03:07 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Distortion? You mustn't be worried about distortion when you're fitting a fisheye to your VX2.1k. Distortion is what you're buying.

If you're working fast 'n' furious the bayonet is the way to go, though I should warn you that Century's bayonet is much more akin to a breech-lock bayonet than a conventional on-turn-lock type bayonet. Screw threads are a pain in that you have to be so careful not to cross thread them as plastic doesn't take kindly to this treatment.

The downside - as has been mentioned - is that the Sony bayonet limits your use of this lens to a very small number of camcorders. If you go the thread route you can use the fisheye on an HC3 up to a Z1, simply by using thread adapters.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 07:52 PM   #21
Regular Crew

can i use a bayonet mount century fisheye thats for a vx2000 for my vx2100??
Old April 17th, 2006, 12:59 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Yes, you certainly can. The bayonet lugs on the VX2000, 2100, PD150 and 170 are all the same.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion