Made my first short with my new PD-150! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old February 12th, 2006, 03:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Made my first short with my new PD-150!

I threw this together in FCE in about an hour, and this is the way compressed version. (still incredible quality using the H.264 codec). I know my camera and editing skills are nowhere near on par with most of you on here, but I tried my best. I'm sure a few of you are probably into cars too, so this may interest you. It's a short of my friend's Acura Integra.

http://home.comcast.net/~sublimize23/Sequence_1.mov
Rob Hochberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #2
Major Player

The Sony is good in low light but you might try this in the day time.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 11:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Zimmerman
The Sony is good in low light but you might try this in the day time.
Yeah. I was eager to try it out, and I had time on friday night. A lot of people watched it but you're the only one to comment..
Old February 13th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #4
Major Player

Some really nice footage there, Rob! The camera indeed can do wonderful video if properly handled. Another important factor is of course the way the video is published. The Quicktime codecs have an impressive sharpness and because you compressed it down into a small resolution as well, it looks very good.

Did you use the built-in 15 FPS progressive?
Georg Liigand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 06:25 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georg Liigand
Some really nice footage there, Rob! The camera indeed can do wonderful video if properly handled. Another important factor is of course the way the video is published. The Quicktime codecs have an impressive sharpness and because you compressed it down into a small resolution as well, it looks very good.

Did you use the built-in 15 FPS progressive?
Thanks Georg, obviously I still have a lot of learning to do. I just started using the H.264 codec and I'm really happy with it. The full quality version is only 50mb. No, I used the interlace video. I was just curious about the progressive scan mode.
Old February 13th, 2006, 08:31 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Rob this is great shooting!

First, there's a lot of life yet in standard def.

Second, this could be an intro to a daring approach to the typical car lot commercial.

Cut it down to 5-7 seconds and it could work as a commercial intro. People who buy used cars do want to feel "cool." Showing off key elements of a car at night certainly imparts that. The rest of the spot would probably be daylight to show off the lot, selection, car body but this could be a great hook and a very different look.

Was this all available light including the engine shots?
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 09:52 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman
Rob this is great shooting!

First, there's a lot of life yet in standard def.

Second, this could be an intro to a daring approach to the typical car lot commercial.

Cut it down to 5-7 seconds and it could work as a commercial intro. People who buy used cars do want to feel "cool." Showing off key elements of a car at night certainly imparts that. The rest of the spot would probably be daylight to show off the lot, selection, car body but this could be a great hook and a very different look.

Was this all available light including the engine shots?
I could have shot the next day, but I felt it kind of took away from the look I was going for. In the past my shorts like this one have been done about an even split night/day. Used car commercials? Well, I never really thought of it like that. I just do this for fun. In the past I've made videos from car meets, auto shows, just messing around, racing, etc. I suppose if there was an offer from someone, I could definitely do this. I could always use extra money...
Old February 14th, 2006, 12:16 PM   #8
Major Player

The H.264 codec is awesome, but the bad thing with it is the slow processing speed. I think it's even much slower than WMV.
Georg Liigand is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion