Reaction to the new camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old January 21st, 2003, 08:48 PM   #1
Wrangler

Reaction to the new camera

Now that I've run 5 hours of tape in a three day period through this new PD150, I think the old one was either bad out-of-the-box or the Sony repair center really fouled it up in the first repari cycle.

This new camera has a color quality that is incredible. Seems much sharper too. And I think the viewfinder is a bit easier to use. Seems to have more resolution for focusing. Of course I focused the camera about 1500 times over the weekend on all sorts of sharp-edged mechanical bits. That might make a difference.

Of course this is all probably in my head.

It does have a couple of quirks. I get a blink in the viewfinder right after it starts recording. Can't see a bit of it in the recorded signal.

If I have the subject distance right at that point where the lens will go out of focus if I zoom a bit more, but it is within the close focus limits and the lens is wide and I then zoom all the way in, the lens goes out of focus and then slips into focus again. I wonder if Sony doesn't make the lens backfocus corrections by a link between the zoom and focus servos. That is, they have a compensation curve stored in the camera and as one zooms, depending on focus settings, bits in the lens shift.

I'll have to check that one out here in the studio when I don't have the pressures of the assignment and can stop to measure the effects.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 11:09 AM   #2
Wrangler

A bit more clarity on the focus shift

I think this is written more clearly

If I have the subject distance right at that point where the lens will go out of focus if I zoom a bit more, but it is within the close focus limits for the entire zoom range and the lens is wide and I then rapidly power-zoom all the way in, the lens goes way out of focus and then slips into focus again just as the lens reaches maximum zoom.

I wonder if Sony doesn't make the lens correct backfocus by an electronic link between the zoom and focus servos. That is, they have a compensation curve stored in the camera and as one zooms, depending on focus settings, bits in the lens shift.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 11:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew

i just got my PD150 last week, and i've noticed that if i have the CO .55x wide angle on, when i zoom rapidly, the camera loses focus completely and takes a second to recover. that being said, the performance of the auto-focus is still *far* superior ( for my needs ) then the canon's that i had been renting up to this point.

and i agree with the picture quality. sharp, accurate colors, amazing low light performance. i can't say i'm disappointed with anything other than the mic that they ship with it. why not just bundle the sennheiser?
Old January 22nd, 2003, 07:00 PM   #4
Wrangler

When I took the camera to Pennsylvania for the shoot, I pulled the short shotgun off my DSR-300 to use. Much better microphone as you would expect. It costs over 2X the price of the microphone on the PD150.

Still, the PD150 microphone is OK for some purposes. It just isn't a long shotgun like I prefer to use in ENG type applications. I don't like to use a shotgun for weddings or anywhere that I might run into loud noises.
Old January 29th, 2003, 03:00 PM   #5
Major Player

some problems with my pd150

i've been out these past two weeks for the first time with my 150 shooting a documentary. noticed two strange things:

1. the audio channel circuitry is crossed over. for example, if i switch channel 1 to manual gain on the menu settings, it actually switches channel 2 to manual gain, etc.

2. this happened a couple of times: i switch on the camera and find that my custom white ballence did not remain as it was when i turned the camera off.

anyone experienced similar problems with their's? would like to know before going back to where i bought it.
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2003, 06:58 PM   #6
Regular Crew

i haven't had those sam issues with the audio circuitry. that's weird.

i'll have to check the white balance. you could always set a custom preset i think, although i haven't looked into it much.

i've been pretty bummed on the sensitivity of the mic, maybe i need to tweak the settings more until i save up for the sennheiser. =)
Old January 29th, 2003, 07:27 PM   #7
Wrangler

Adi,

Try pushing the reset button (little hole with the word reset beside it. Found behind the LCD screen.
Old January 30th, 2003, 04:54 AM   #8
Major Player

mike, i already did poke a pencil into the RESET hole and then paged through the menu to make sure that all is set the way i want it. i would go through this precedure before a shoot, every time i wasn't sure how the camera had been set the last time i had used it.

what i'm talking about - the white balance quirk - happens in the middle of a shoot. that's the reason i'm bothered by this. i could be shooting a scene somewhere, figure i'm done and turn the camera off. but then, something unexpected happens, i gun the camera and find that the last white balance preset i had been shooting with no longer exists. i can tell on the LCD screen that the coloring is completely different.

so i set the white balance again - but i'm worried i might miss important unexpected shots or shoot accedently with offset white balance.

i imagine i'll just have to take my camera to have it checked.
Adi Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2003, 01:48 PM   #9
Wrangler

white balance

On the VX-2000 the white balance button in located right above the audio level button... is it the same on the PD-150? I find this really annoying because I'm prone to accidently hit it while shooting when I really meant to adjust the volume. Why can't they but some dedicated controls on these cameras, like a volume knob? Is it a marketing thing to make the camera less appealing to pro's?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion