Dancing green lights with UV filter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 3rd, 2006, 02:06 PM   #1
New Boot

Dancing green lights with UV filter

I've seen this mentioned before, but I thought I would bring it up again.
I am using a clear UV filter in front of MY VX2100. When shooting candles or pinpoint lights, I get the dancing green bugs surrounding the light source. I was going to keep my filter on to protect my lens, but now I think I will only put it on for high risk situations (i.e. outdoors).
Does this happen with all UV filters ?

Ezra
Ezra Hiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:08 PM   #2
Trustee

Is your UV filter multi-coated? Those are supposed to reduce unwanted reflections. I remove filters if they are not needed. Outdoors in wet or dusty environments would be a good place to put them back on. Careful cleaning of lenses with the appropriate cleaning equipment won't be a serious problem with your camera assuming you are careful. Some people aren't careful with their camera, so they should keep the UV filter in place.

There is always risk involved with bringing a camera into an interesting place to shoot. A good case and careful handling will prevent damage better than a UV filter. The damaged lenses I have seen have dents as well as scratches. I have never seen a lens with a nice barrel and significantly scratched glass.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 06:52 AM   #3
Wrangler

In these situations, turn off your image stabilization. The dancing is caused by reflections off the stabilizer's optical elements in the lens. This won't get rid of the spots but they will be stationary and much less noticable.
Old April 4th, 2006, 01:06 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Both the Ms make good points. Do check to see if your UV is multi-coated though Ezra. It certainly is important that any front element has to have the very best multi-coating you can buy, and if you've added a filter, that then becomes this all-important front element.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 10:46 PM   #5
Trustee

I can't believe I forgot to mention the image stabilizer! Doh!
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2006, 01:32 AM   #6
Inner Circle

That's the thing see, Marcus. A technology so transparent that it only requires a v'finder icon to tell you it's turned OFF very often gets forgotten about.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion