Help Understanding Zebra at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old February 2nd, 2003, 09:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Help Understanding Zebra

I just got a vx 2k and have been playing with manual setting. Could someone explain what should be done with zebra setting. I turned zebra to 70 filming outside. I don't know what I should be looking for or if there's a way to adjust the settings.

Thanks for any help, we all have to start somewhere and I'm at the very beginning.
Charles French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2003, 01:32 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Others have more expertise, but I believe the 100 setting is for overall overexposure areas. The 70 setting is to determine if you have exposed faces correctly, usually for interviews, etc. (I think the rule of thumb is that they *should* be zebra'd in that rage). I keep mine on the 100 setting generally and use the ND filters or back off on the stops accordingly. I hope that helps (and is largely right).
Old February 2nd, 2003, 01:57 PM   #3
Major Player

The zebra stripes show you areas of the video that are exposed at levels of 70 or 100 IRE. If you are shooting outside and have the zebra set to 100, anything showing stripes will be dangerously close to being blown out (straight white). I usually set them to 70 and like Charles said, I expose peoples faces around that setting.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2003, 06:37 PM   #4
Major Player

Here is a good place to look for some information, Charles. It is Christina Fox's website, and she is a long time shooter for the BBC. This "work book" is dedicated to the PD150, but the portions on the zebras will apply to the VX2K.

http://www.urbanfox.tv/workbooks/sonypd150/index.htm

She is a great source of information and loves to help out newbies.

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion