Is this a good accessory package? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old May 9th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Is this a good accessory package?

I'm 24 hours away from buying a VX 2100 is this a good accessory package?

http://www.digitalinnovationsny.com/...itemid=3228742

If not, can you point me to one?

Thanks!!
Sheldon Blais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:06 AM   #2
Major Player

At least the price seems to be too low for a good package. Just the fine video tripods start from 250-300 USD so don't expect anything too professional. Additionally, the battery is not genuine Sony and therefore you may have problems with that.

You will get the best if you just spend more money and buy these items separately.
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:15 AM   #3
New Boot

Hmm....

First, the price is extremely low, so there's no way this is top quality stuff (far from the quality of your vx2100).

Second, I'm a little (actually, a lot) leery of the seller. There are a quite a few crooked "Digital This" and "Digital That" businesses in NY. I looked over the website and couldn't find a physical address. And for a business that claims to have over a million satisfied customers and has been in business for over 20 years, you'd think you could find them at resellerratings.com - nope. I also noticed they copied pictures from B&H... look at the filters - you can see "B&H" on the one where the guy is sitting at a desk. And here it is at B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/l...ges/163495.jpg

I've heard too many horror stories from places that look similar to this one. I'd go with one of this site's sponsors since they have about the lowest "realistic" prices you'll find on new quality cameras/accessories.

Chad
Chad Rigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:50 PM   #4
Major Player

I agree

If you are spending the money to get a vx2100, the quality of your accessories really needs to matter. The things you really need are not covered here except for a battery. You should stick with sony or lenmar batteries. You need a beacktek. You need a shotgun mic /wireless mic. You need a tripod. There is probably nothing so bad for your finished image as a bad/cheap lens, or a battery that dies in the middle of a shoot. You should budget big for your accessories, and not compromise. What purpose are you using your 2100 for? Weddings? Movies? Interviews? For whatever purpose you shouldn't compromise. I have learned the hard way that spending money on good equipment is better than piling up a lot of inexpensive junk that doesn't suit your needs.
Bill
Bill Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I'll be doing mostly weddings. Thanks for the advice. My budget is 3K (camera included) so I'm trying to be conservative.
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:06 PM   #6
Major Player

ok try these

Lenmar battery $50.00
Bogen 3221 tripod with 701RC2 head at www.bhphoto.com $241.00
Sennheiser G2 wireless at $430.00
Rode Videomic anywhere for $149.00

that's $869 which leaves you $131 or so to get a used beachtek. Provided you are not paying the 2999 from sony for a new vx2100. I got mine for 1900 from these boards (and vu) i don't remember which one. I find these things necessary to do a wedding. I have not found the need for ANYTHING in that accessory kit you showed us but the battery, and you don't want to take a chance on your camera dying in the middle of a 1.5 hr long catholic wedding because you scrimped on the battery. The vx2100 is an amazing camera for what you are doing, but these other things matter as much in the long run.

Bill
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Bill.....now I can hit the ground running!
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:05 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I agree with the posters above. When you need to buy your next accessory, you'll know all right. When that time comes, then go ask the questions about filters, lights, converter lenses, tripods, mics, batteries and so on.

Stores that put together 'packages' are just out to make a buck, not to sell you what you really need.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #9
Major Player

Stop buying standard definition cameras.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #10
Major Player

Yeah ok

Craig,
When they make a High Def camera and upgrade in editing systems that will fit into a normal budget we might. My area is not ready nor are they interested in High Def. It's one thing to buy a $3000 camera, it's another thing to have to completely change your workflow. Especially when you are just starting out. Right now, my Vx2100 kicks my GL1's ccds up and down the block. We can't assume that a good solution for one is a good solution for all.
Bill
Old May 12th, 2006, 12:54 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I'll back you Bill. Formats live alongside each other, each one finding a place, price and reason to be. For low light work nothing will touch the VX/PD - not till you pay three times as much.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 08:10 AM   #12
Major Player

I've used this battery on several 10-12 hr days without having to switch batteries...
Old May 12th, 2006, 08:13 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks bill....what are you using to charge it?
Old May 12th, 2006, 09:53 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Stop buying standard definition cameras.
Being honest, I don't understand the reason of making such a statement. Why buy a HD camera if your customers cannot watch the result? HD is still at least 4 years away from being a worldwide standard.

IMO, it's a lot more important to deliver high quality video to a lot of people instead of giving even higher quality to just a few.
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:10 PM   #15
Major Player

the camera

The camera... and I got a Lenmar charger that plugs directly into a wall socket, which I use for my backup battery...

Bill
Bill Grant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion