Seeking filter advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old February 18th, 2003, 11:23 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Seeking filter advice

Just got my new Sony DSR-PD150 yesterday. Now I'm looking to accessorize with filters.

Take a look at http://www.zgc.com/html/tiffen_dv_filter_kits.html

I'm thinking about the Video Essentials DV kit, which includes Clear, Circular Polarizer and Warm UV 17. Does that look like it encompasses all of the basics? For the PD150, do I want the 58mm size? Is $58 for the 3-lens kit a good price?

Like a kid in a candy store, I'm tempted by the Film Look DV kit and the Special Effects DV kit. I understand that these aren't really 'essential', but are nice add-ons. Are these worth the $$$?

I'll probably be using Premiere 6.5 for post work. Would I be able to achieve the same effects in Premiere as the last two filter kits? How about in Video Vegas?

I'm also looking for lenses... any advice on which are best to start off with?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Edward Seid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2003, 02:27 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Edward,
take a deep breath. It's fun getting a new camera and especially something as awesome as a PD150. I know, I've got 2 and each one still takes my breath away. As for filters, I use Tiffen, its a kit of 3 with a UV-ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL- a polarizer, I use it every so often and an 812 warming filter which I have only used 1 time to see what it could do, I decided I didn't really need it. I feel the 150 is pretty warm anyway. The kit you're looking at sounds pretty good and has the basic filters you need to get started. As for others, it depends on what you are planning to shoot.
As for lens attachments, well again, that would depend on what you're shooting. I couldn't live without my wide angle but hardly ever use the telephoto. I do a lot more weddings than corporate and fire department training stuff where the tele works well especially when the fire gets rolling! I tend to want to be further away, even though I've got bunker gear on. Anyway anything you purchase for your camera should be dependent on what you're going to shoot unless you just WANT to buy in which case thats alright also.
I don't use either vegas or premier so I really don't know what effects you can or can't get but I would guess you can do a lot of the special effects you might be looking to do with filters.
Don't know if that answers your questions I hope it helps a little, enjoy your new camera, it's fantastic.
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2003, 03:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Don's advice to take a deep breath is right on the mark. Resist the temptation to buy every accessory out there. There are a few items you should get, such as a wide angle adapter. As Don mentioned, can't live without it. Also, did you buy an additional battery? Got to have it. Either the 750 or the 960. Also, did you get a tape head cleaner cassette? Don't wait till you need it to look for one. A Hoodman is a great little gadget to use with your lcd to keept the sun off it. And a set of professional headphones are a must, eventually. Then you will want a better microphone than the one supplied. By now you will need a case, hard or soft, to carry all the gear. And of course, you will need a fluid head and a good set of sticks. Can't always be hand held.

Do you have any money left? Oh yeah. Filters. More and more people are "shooting it clean" and doing their image correction in post, and that includes filtering. Software filters.Check out "55mm" from http://www.digitalfilmtools.com/html/products_main.html
I will disagree with Don on the UV filter. I don't use one, and never have. Yeah, I know all the stories about scratching your lens, etc. Personal choice. By the way, when you buy those filters for your standard lens, they won't fit on the wide angle lens, so you are back to zero. But who cares? You're made of money, right?

With regard to "filmlook" filters, that's a bunch of hype. No filter is going to make video look like film. The end. If you want to soften your image a bit with filters, the best thing to do is rent an assortment of filters from a camera store and experiment to see what you like. Then buy as you make an intelligent decision. Remember, anytime you see "filmlook" or any variation thereof in an ad, your red flag should go up.

You have a lot to learn, so take your time and don't overcomplicate your life. If you have money to burn, I will get into lighting.

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2003, 04:07 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Wayne,
you're right about the filter with the WA lens. I do alot of stuff for a fire dept. and I like the fact of a little extra protection. You know Safe Video. I absolutlely agree with every other point you made, batteries, lots of them (or at least a lot of hour power) Head Cleaner (my wife has been telling me I need one for 34 years, maybe I should listen), good fluid head and stick, a must, definately a better mic, although I have actually gone back to the stock 1 for a while just to play, (it's really not so bad!?!?!) headphones, OH yeah, not the ones you get from the airlines either, although I have about 4 sets and in a pinch...Oh, there's so much more, that little investment in just a camera can turn into YIKES! I don't even want to think about it.
One more thing, the film look. Sorry, hope I don't offend anyone, but if I want film look, I'll shoot film. I like the video look, rich colors, saturation, sharpness and I'll deal with the Depth of Field issue much much later. I was raised on a 4x5 Deardorff and a Graflex XL and a Leica Mlll- I had a Nikon F in Vietnam and a Bell&Howell 8MM there also. I do know about DOF! No I wasn't a journalist but everything was so cheap I couldn't resist. And yes I was in the infantry. Thats why the Leica.
Oh well back to basics, Edward, enjoy have fun don't spend ALL of your cash, and play with the camera to learn about it. You can do so much with that camera you won't believe it.
Good Luck
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion