vx2000 exposure problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old July 3rd, 2006, 12:26 PM   #1
New Boot

vx2000 exposure problem

I've had 2 vx2000 cams for two years. I can have both of them pointing at the same thing, same iris settings, same light, same everything. One of them, however, is a little darkish. Not real dark like the ND filter has been left on, but just darker than the other. I can brighten it up in post, but it's a real pain to always have to match the two.

The exposure has always matched perfectly until about a month ago. Now that one is just darkish. Does anyone have any idea what happened, or what I need to do to fix it?

Thanks...

Nancy
Nancy Akin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006, 12:37 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Nancy, and welcome to DVinfo!

One other thing to double check: is the zoom setting the same on both cameras? This could be a factor if you're shooting with the iris wide open in manual mode (displaying OPEN in the viewfinder). At full wide zoom "OPEN" means f1.6 but at full telephoto it means f2.8; everything else is somewhere in between. So even though both cameras say OPEN they might have different f-stops. Probably not what's going on, since you say it just happened recently, but thought I'd toss it out just in case...

If you can't figure out the problem then one thing which might help would be to turn on the zebra patterns on both cameras and adjust one camera until it matches the other one.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006, 01:13 PM   #3
Inner Circle

You might also want to look into the Custom Presets menu and adjust slightly to better match the 2. My 2 150 had a similar difference and the 250 also has a bit of a difference-just enough to make it a PITA in post but with a little play it can be made to a perfect match.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006, 02:19 PM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Hi Nancy, and welcome to DVinfo!

If you can't figure out the problem then one thing which might help would be to turn on the zebra patterns on both cameras and adjust one camera until it matches the other one.
I'm glad you mentioned that, because I forgot to put it in my original post. I did adjust the zebra patterns until they were the same, but still the shot looked darker than the other cam. Highlights had the same zebra pattern, but the shot itself (everything else) looked darkish.

Nancy
Old July 3rd, 2006, 02:22 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom
You might also want to look into the Custom Presets menu and adjust slightly to better match the 2. My 2 150 had a similar difference and the 250 also has a bit of a difference-just enough to make it a PITA in post but with a little play it can be made to a perfect match.

Don
I have the custom presets the same. ANd, like I said, it's worked fine (same picture quality) until recently. I'll try to play around with the presets again to try to get it closer, but I think since it has just happened recently, the preset thing would be a work-around. I'd like to find the solution.

Of course, a work-around might be just fine, as I'm probably going to go with HD next year anyway!

thanks...

Nancy
Old July 3rd, 2006, 02:36 PM   #6
Wrangler

Another work-around might be getting a screw-in ND filter of the correct variety and leaving it on whichever camera is consistently brighter.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2006, 08:14 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Oh-oh Boyd. I'd not recomment the extra ND route, not with the custom preset menu so easily able to match the two cameras.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion