PD170 Sound Quality at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old July 11th, 2006, 11:07 AM   #1
New Boot

PD170 Sound Quality

Hello,

I recently puchased the PD170. So far Iv'e used it on 2 weddings and have noticed what I consider pour sound quality with ambient sound. I'm using a stock mic attachment that came with the camcorder. The sound in both weddings sounds like it's in a car. No bass what so ever. My partner uses a vx2000 and his ambient sound has much more bass. What can I do to get better ambient sound from my PD170.

Troy
Troy Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 11:16 AM   #2
Wrangler

You will have to replace the microphone. It isn't very good for much.

Find a nice Cardiod to replace it and you will be much happier.
Old July 12th, 2006, 09:08 AM   #3
Fred Retread

Troy, what do you mean by "ambient sound?" What sounds in particular are lacking bass?

The way you said it implies that the ceremony and vows sounded fine, but that other room sounds lacked bass. Is that right?
Old July 31st, 2006, 04:37 PM   #4
New Boot

Fred,

Sorry it took so long to get back with you. You are right the vows sound fine with the wireless lav I used. However, the reception sounded like it it needed a lot of bass.

I've been looking at the Senn me64. I've gotten mixed reviews on that. I've been told I cannot overcome the onborad sound problem and that I have to use a set mic near the sound source. That won't work for me.

My second cameraman uses a vx2000 and he's getting better ambient sound than I do. Much more bass. How can I match his?

I'll try to be more responsive from now on with replies back.

Thanks,
Troy
Old July 31st, 2006, 06:16 PM   #5
Fred Retread

If most of the sound you want to cover is in front of you a good cardioid will sould better, as Mike said. The AT3031 at $170 might be a good choice. I have two of them. I often use one for ambience when shooting stage productions from the back of the hall (I use the two together for stereo).

If you want to cover situations where the sound is all around, like cruising around at a reception without having the sound change as you pan, then an omni would be better. The AT3032 is such an omni.
Old August 1st, 2006, 10:51 AM   #6
New Boot

Thanks for the advice Fred
Old August 8th, 2006, 02:52 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quick dumb question:
If im recording from 2 separate mic’s plugged into Channel 1 and 2, could I have two separate sound waves dragged into my NLE system?

Thanks
Simon Antoniou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #8
Major Player

Yes. You can.

I just switched my stock mic on the pd170 to an at835b. After doing a comparative test at a reception, the at83b sounds the best with sweet bass that rolls through the speakers. The only problem is the mic is too big for the camera and looks awkward.

Does anyone know if the at897 sounds the same as the at835b?
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion