Stupid VX2000 newb question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old March 1st, 2003, 08:07 PM   #1
New Boot

Stupid VX2000 newb question

This is probably in the manual and I'd look it up if I could find the damn thing...

But, someone gave me a tape on some format called VHSC. So to dig this thing onto my computer, i need to dump it to minidv first. I thought "ok, easy." I have the two cameras in hand, I connect the rca cable from my DVCam to the VHSC thingie, and record it onto a DVtape.

Unfortunately, this isn't working. If I play the VHSC it appears just fine on my VX2000's screen, but I can't figure out how to convince my camera to record the incoming stream of video. Anyone know how to do this? I'm sure it's something really simple, but when I hit the record button that's on the VCR panel (the thing that lights up when I put it in VCR mode) nothing happens....

Anyhow, I'd really appreciate any info and thanks in advance for your help!
DongWon Song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2003, 10:21 PM   #2
Wrangler

If the video is seen on the LCD, then it is possible that the tape you have inserted has the copy protection tab in the protect position. There are two record buttons on the camera and the commander. Both have to be pushed to record.

I'm looking at the manual for the 2000. Unless there are some bizarre gotchas, that should work.
Old March 1st, 2003, 11:55 PM   #3
Major Player

Are you in VTR mode or camera mode? You could also just plug the VX2000 into the computer and play the tape thru instead of recording it on MiniDV first and just capture it from the SVHSC using your camera as a converter.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2003, 01:00 AM   #4
New Boot

Great, thanks for the info. I didn't realize I could just patch the SVHC through my own cam onto the computer.

And Mike, I'll try that, but do you know which mode I have to be in? VTR or Camera?
DongWon Song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2003, 02:59 PM   #5
Wrangler

VTR AFAIK. I never think about it, I just do it.
Old March 2nd, 2003, 06:00 PM   #6
Major Player

If you are using the camera as a passthrough just be sure to have the "DV Out" set as "On". Do this in the "VCR Set" menu when the camera is in VCR mode. Otherwise it won't work. I know. I tried.
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2003, 03:06 PM   #7
Wrangler

You know, the last time I tried that (quite awhile ago) I couldn't get it to pass through the VX-2000 via firewire into FCP. I did set AV Out in the menus, and the image showed on the LCD screen. But it wouldn't capture in FCP. Finally I just recorded it to tape on the VX-2000 and then captured the tape. Never really did any followup troubleshooting, but I always wondered whether this was a glitch or a "feature" ;-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2003, 12:05 AM   #8
Brian Mackey

Passthrough to VCR

<<<-- Originally posted by Rick Spilman : If you are using the camera as a passthrough just be sure to have the "DV Out" set as "On". Do this in the "VCR Set" menu when the camera is in VCR mode. Otherwise it won't work. I know. I tried. -->>>

Im confused, I am copy from harddrive, firewire into the vx2000, then over to a vcr vhs tape and it works fine. my DV Out is off?

why is it working?
Old March 27th, 2003, 06:17 AM   #9
Major Player

Stupid VX2000 newb question

The recommendation you quote is intended for bringing analogue into the camcorder for conversion to DV. What you have done is the opposite, pass DV through to VHS (analogue). The DV out setting is out from the camera to the computer, not out to VHS. I hope that helps.
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2003, 11:35 AM   #10
Major Player

Then ofcourse there is the more expensive way of using an ANALOG to DV converter and just play the VHS through the VHS-C (no wear on your cam :) ) and capture that way.
Garret Ambrosio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2003, 01:00 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Recording from analog camcorder to VX2000

I'm not quite sure what the problem is here? It is very straightforward to record from an analog camera to a VX2000. Just connect the RCA cables from the analog camera into the RCA jacks on the VX2000. (You can use the S-video cable for the video if you have an S-output on the analog camera.) Put the VX2000 in VCR mode, and push the TWO lighted record buttons at the same time on the top of the VX2000. The VX2000 will then start recording whatever is coming into its RCA jacks. The only trick is to push both buttons on the top of the VX2000 at the same time to put it into RECORD mode and to make sure that your DV tape is not write-protected. I find this is a convenient way of getting a DV version of an analog tape. Once in DV, it is simple to get into your computer.
Alan Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 10:10 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Converting SVHS to DV using VX2000

Hi dongwon son,
I had the same trouble getting the converted signal out puted to the computer until I took out the tape and had no more trouble.
Mike
Mike Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2003, 09:51 AM   #13
New Boot

yeah, in the end I dumped it to a DV tape since they needed their camera back. I just didn't press BOTH record buttons, that's all.

Told ya it was a newb question...
DongWon Song is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion