Monopod Suggestions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old August 29th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Monopod Suggestions

I'm looking to purchase a monopod. I'm currently using a Bogen Manfrotto 3011 Tripod + 3126 head with my VX2100. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Sheldon Blais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 10:53 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Well I use a Bogen 682B which has feet on the bottom that can be folded in. Its a bit noisy that way and I don't trust the feet enough to actually walk away from the camera but for "rest stops" I like it. Bogen has a new one out that has a better foot situation than the 682 but I can't remember the number of it. Thats the only one I've used in the last 4 or 5 years so I can't speak about the others but in any case you might want to look at the Bogen 577QR quick release setup so you can go from tripod to monopod quickly.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 11:32 AM   #3
New Boot

How about the Bogen Monopods that have a quick height adjustment? It sounds like a cool feature...if they work properly.

Ezra
Ezra Hiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 04:11 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Sheldon,

I've got the same TriPod system you've got but with a couple of Mods.
(Single or Dual Extendable Control Handles 2' to 4', and a 180% vertical pan unit to allow Cam to be in any vertical position while Control Handle stays where you need it) Nice for Air Shows.

I've got the Bogen 434B/GA08 Mono-Pod unit on which I've installed a small side handle and a Vertical Pan unit like on my TriPod. Also made a Belt Holster for it. Real nice unit. I'm 6' 4" and 200 lbs. It puts Cam at my eye level and I can use it as a walking stick.

Can send you Pics of these units if interested.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 06:40 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Check your e-mail Harold....
Sheldon Blais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 08:02 PM   #6
Major Player

one leg or FlowPod

For the past two years I've used the FlowPod from Varizoom, combining a adjustable height monopod with the possibility of switching quickly to a 'glidecam-esque' handle. I've liked the flexibility, and eventually found it possible to get satisfyingly steady shots by creatively bracing it or myself against found objects like tables, walls etc.

However, a couple weeks ago I was using it like normal to cover a Rehearsal Dinner, when the toast lasted over an hour and a half. Man was I worn out. I'd purchased in the mean time a Bogen 755 mDeVe tripod with built in level adjustment and 501 head mounted on it. So I used that as a monopod for the next Rehearsal Dinner. I left two legs retracted and extended the third. When the toast ran long again, I extended the legs and was ready to go with the fluid head in place. You might consider experimenting with using your current 3011 tripod as a monopod, just to see how you like it.

So now I limit using the FlowPod to when I want to those flowing movement shots. Mainly because I still only have the stock plate for mounting the camera.

If you end up getting a true monopod, for sure get the 577 adapter Don mentioned. I've been searching for that model number for two years. It uses the same plate on the cameras as the 501 or 503, allowing quick transfer from tripod to monopod.

I've seen the Bogen 685B used effectively as well. It offers one of the quickest height adjustments available.

Happy stabilizing,
Scott
Scott Brickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 08:21 PM   #7
Regular Crew

A while back I picked up the Manfrotto #694 carbon fiber monopod. All I can say is that it's awesome. Supports alot of weight, Easy transport, fit's in the overhead, and it's lightweight.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion