Help me choose a filter for my vx2100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old October 28th, 2006, 07:52 PM   #1
Tourist

Help me choose a filter for my vx2100

Hey guys, I'm new to the intermediate (prosumer) stage. Would you please recomend a filter that I can permenatly keep on my vx2100. I know it uses 58mm size. I just want to keep the lens protected from scratches and what not. I have heard that inexpensive aka cheap filters can actually add glare and what not.. and I have seen some very expensive filters from 100 - 800 dollars!!!

Can you please recomend a UV or some type of basic not noticable effect... (or benificial effect) that is expensive enough to be worthwhile, but inexpensive enough to be affordable? I mean brand and all

Thanks... Many more questions to come

-Sam
Sam Colclough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 01:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Some people insist on using expensive, multi-coated filters. A B&W brand UV 58mm filter may cost around $50. to $60.. I've had a couple of them, but could never see any advantage over the $22. Tiffen that I use now on my VX2100. You have to be careful how you rub multi-coated filters when you clean them, as the layers can wear off unevenly. On less-expensive cameras, I've used Hoya UV filters that cost only $10. and could see no optical problems. If you shoot at times when there's a bright Sun, low in the sky, problems with glare can be worse and an expensive filter might be more valuable then. My main purpose in using a UV filter is for lens protection and since I use a telextender about 90% of the time, I have one on the lens on a limited basis.

If you go to the B&H Photovideo website, they have one of the best selections of filters and you can find a lot of different brands and prices.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion