Tape motor noise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old March 18th, 2003, 10:06 PM   #1
New Boot

Tape motor noise

I have done a search and manually searched the form and was unable to find a answer to this problem.
I just received my VX2000 and the tape motor or whatever it is seems to make a lot of noise when it is in standby or record.
Is this normal or do I need to get it repaired. I have not checked it with headphones or if it the sound comes across on tape, but in a quiet room it probably would. I have also read the post on xlr adapters and external mikes and that itis the way to go. I just want to know if the noise I am hearing is normal.
Thanks
Steven Dumala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2003, 12:00 AM   #2
New Boot

I have this problem with my PD150. I raised the issue on a forum and got the same response I've gotten for the bad audio performance. Most people can hear it to some degree, but a few don't even hear it at all. Most of those who can hear it aren't bothered by it. But I'm recording critical audio in quiet rooms. If you're doing any kind of filmmaking or quality interviews, you'll want silence also. I don't understand how this can't bother people. Either way, it's not a problem that's going to go away until tape goes away, since I believe it's the tape mechanisms that make the whine. This occurs even on the 100K Cinealtas.

Take wool blanket, folded up, and drape it over the camera. Tape the front with gaf tape, below the lens. Works like a charm, although it makes it harder to operate. In critical audio recordings, no whine at all. This assumes that you don't have the mic on the camera. If you do, you aren't going to get good audio no matter what you do. Put the mic on a boompole. Keep it as far from the camera as possible.
Michael Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2003, 05:52 PM   #3
Go Cycle

MN
Tape motor noise
I have done a search and manually searched the form and was unable to find a answer to this problem.
I just received my VX2000 and the tape motor or whatever it is seems to make a lot of noise when it is in standby or record.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This tape noise is the lower head drum assembly making a whirring noise. The noise is vibrating through the camera body as well. The repair cost is 460 dollars. I had mine repaired at the Sony Bristol, Pa Service center. One week turnaround-door to door. Luckily, I had an extended warranty.
Old March 28th, 2003, 11:34 PM   #4
Wrangler

Be careful how much you thermally insulate your camera. These do get hot even in mild weather when you cover them. In hot weather or in direct sunlight you could cause it to fail. The operating temperature range on these cameras is 32 to 104 degrees fairenheit.

I've had a viewfinder on a shoulder-mount camera actually start to smoke when I had the camera out in the sun just about an hour. It was not a really hot day either.

I learned to drape a white towel over the camera or use an umbrella.
Old March 29th, 2003, 08:21 AM   #5
Major Player

get a barney

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion