replace lens hood / cap? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old March 20th, 2003, 11:39 PM   #1
Tourist

replace lens hood / cap?

does anyone know where I can buy a new lens hood and/or hood cap for my vx2000? Mine is kind of beat up.
Mike Heshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2003, 09:03 AM   #2
New Boot

Lens Hood Replacement

When I received my camera new it had a small tear in the lens hood where the rubber meets the harder plastic (like it bumped something). I called customer service and they sent me a new one. so, I know Sony can get you one. I'm still using the original hood however.
Old March 21st, 2003, 11:01 AM   #3
Wrangler

1-800 222-7669 will, after you fight your way through all the choices, get you to the Sony folks who can take an order for new bits and pieces.
Old March 21st, 2003, 01:04 PM   #4
Tourist

expensive

$50 for a new lens hood!!! and $23 for just the cap!!!!
Mike Heshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2003, 10:59 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Sony sales it on their site I ordered one. It came fast... do a search on hood lens and you'll most likely find the link that someone had passed on to me.
Old March 22nd, 2003, 05:50 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Surely there is a company out there selling lens hoods of various sizes for a more reasonable price than 50 dollars. Anyone have a line on small camcorder2000 and down size hoods?
Old March 22nd, 2003, 11:42 AM   #7
Wrangler

Think through how much it would cost for an independent company to engineer, create molds, build, market and distribute specialty lens hoods and caps and you will understand how Sony can charge that much for their accessories.

It is unlikely you will find a 3rd party making accessories for a camera that in all likelihood will sell maybe 100,000 units, with maybe 5% of the cameras needing new caps and hoods. Sony will sell the majority of the replacements leaving maybe 10% of the sales to the 3rd party. A one-half percent market is just not worth it.

If one uses a generic round, screw-on hood and cap, then there are some out there. But the trade-off is that the rectangular openings in the Sony hood just clear the field of view when at the widest zoom. A round hood will not be able to provide the same degree of protection from light.

While I would hate to pay what Sony asks, I would.

Here is a suggestion:

Whenever I cover SWAT training, the camera get's dusty. Especally the lens hood. Take the lens hood and cap off the camera and wash them. I am able to make mine look new by washing them in dishwashing soap and using a soft brush to get at the corners.

BTW, I use a rain jacket to keep the majority of the dust off the camera although the camera does get a bit warm when covered and powered-up for lengthy periods of time (hours).
Old March 22nd, 2003, 12:27 PM   #8
Major Player

As the cost of such things go $50 seems fairly reasonable. I recall pricing replacement hoods made by a Canadian firm whose name escapes me right now. I think their price was considerably more than $50.

I paid $120 for a lens hood/french flag/matte box for my Canon wide angle adapter. Now that Canon is mass producing hoods they are selling hoods, though with fewer features, for about $38 or so.

And of course full blown matte boxes can run over $700 which is pretty impressive.

Bottom line, small manufacturing runs mean high prices.
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2003, 06:12 AM   #9
Regular Crew

All good points and I see in retrospect I failed to make myself clear on my question.
For example ,whem I switch to a wide angle lens for my trv950 the hood has to come off as the only thing that fits under it are filters. I was thinking about places that might sell hoods (plastic or rubber perhaps) for add on lenses.
I think B&H sells a few but was wondering if anyone knew of a place other than them?
I wish Sony made a wide lens hood fitted like the one that comes with the camcorder. For that I would gladly get off over 50 dollars or more.
Old March 23rd, 2003, 02:13 PM   #10
Wrangler

When I bought the Century wide angle lens adapter, I didn't want to pay their prices. Fortunately, the lens hood for the 55 mm WA lens for my Mamiya RB-67 fits great. Then I went to their web site to order a second unit.

Only $225 each!

I have a rought time understanding why matt boxes are $700 until I try to copy one in my shop. $700 is a bargain.

If you don't mind UGLY, a lens hood is not too hard to make out of a few bits and pieces of camera gear. Black plastic piping can be had to use as the hood. Then the mount can be made to the shoe, tripod screw or lens barrel.

Try one of the tapered pipe adapters for changing from one diameter pipe to another. Hmmm. Next time I go to the hardware store I'll take a look. I guess cast iron is out of the question.
Old March 23rd, 2003, 07:54 PM   #11
Trustee

The Canadian company is Cavision

http://www.cavision.com/LensHood/for_58mm_dia__shade.htm
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2003, 09:23 PM   #12
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Mike Rehmus :
If one uses a generic round, screw-on hood and cap, then there are some out there. But the trade-off is that the rectangular openings in the Sony hood just clear the field of view when at the widest zoom. A round hood will not be able to provide the same degree of protection from light.-->>>

You could always mask off a rectangle on a skylight and spray the unmasked part black. the round lenshood would then be ok.

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2003, 10:42 PM   #13
New Boot

So if I were to get the Century Optics w/ bayonet mount WA lens, would a new hood be needed, or would the stock hood still work?
Dominik Chrzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2003, 06:09 AM   #14
Inner Circle

I like the Cavision hood's texture, it's internal ribbing, it's semi-hard rubber feel. What I'm not so keen on is the fact that it's not 4:3. Why-ever not?
Why go to all the trouble to make those expensive rubber moulding machine tools and then loose hooding efficiency by making it too big vertically?
Instead of 1.33:1 it's 1.12:1 ~ much "squarer" than necessary. Why did they do this? Anyone?

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2003, 06:33 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Flex hard rubber pipe adaptors !! Great , it even looks good untill you get close enough to see "eure" on the side :0) Thanks for an excelent idea
KennJ

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion