Help with this combination at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old March 26th, 2003, 11:43 PM   #1
Brian Mackey

Help with this combination

I have a Sony Vx2000, and a Sennheiser MKE300 shotgun microphone. I am picking up the vibration from tape motors whenthe microphne is connected to the hot shoe, or connected anywhere on the vx2000. I know this hum or noise can be edited out, but I need to be able to just hand off the tape to the client. when I remove the MKE300 from the camera, the noise stops and I get great audio. Getting a shock mount is not the answer as this MKE300 has the built on hot shoe, and wont sit right in a shock mount. does anyone have any experiance with this issue and a possbile fix? I really cant afford to buy a different mic and mount.

Thank you in advance

Brian
Old March 27th, 2003, 12:53 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You've hit a well known problem Brian. The Sony range of camcorders hum badly with the MKE300, and that's why Sennheiser have produced the MKE300D - the D standing for digital. Sennheiser (UK) will modify your 300 for a price and it'll be a lot better - it involves a tear down and shielding adding to the output wiring.

I use my 300 on top of the vertical arm of a big "L" bracket, the VX2k being attached to the horizontal arm. With them moved apart like this, and the 300 on rubber blocks, the hum is almost eliminated.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2003, 01:01 PM   #3
Brian Mackey

What about Sennheiser USA

do you think I should contact them?
Old March 27th, 2003, 02:59 PM   #4
Major Player

I look at B&H for the MKE300D but I couldn't find it. Where can I pick up one of these bad boys?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion