Chroma Adjust for Black and White at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old March 30th, 2003, 04:26 PM   #1
Tourist

Chroma Adjust for Black and White

Hi- have a PD150 and wish to shoot in black and white and/or desaturated color. Where can I find info on adjusting chroma and luma for this camera?
Gary Armor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2003, 09:22 PM   #2
Wrangler

I have not tried to kill the color in-camera since it is so easy to do in Post and I always have the option of using color.
Old March 31st, 2003, 12:46 AM   #3
Tourist

Thanks Mike, I will look into a test on FCP. However, my thought was a clearer image might be attained if the ccd only has to record grayscale rather than color bits, but perhaps I am wrong about this. What do you think? Seemed like I read that the VX1000 had some menus for adjusting chrominance and luminance, but don't seem to be available on the PD150.
Gary Armor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 06:17 AM   #4
Major Player

If you're shooting in color, but going to remove chroma in post, does it make sense to shoot with an amber filter? Will this make clouds more dramatic, and get rid of haze?

Any one tried this?

thanks

Bob
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 10:26 AM   #5
Wrangler

The color to B&W conversion would be accomplished in the camera electronics. Color detection in a CCD detector is always created with the use of color filters which are permanent parts of the optical block.

I think one would have to play around with filters to see if the CCD pixel triads would react to color filters in the same manner as Panchromatic Silver Halide film.

Haze as recorded on film is the reaction of the film to backscattering of UV. CCD response is way down with regard to UV so I'm guessing it would not be as effected by the type of haze that affects film. IIRC, the more dramatic clouds are really created by darkening the 'blue' sky. A polarizer would do as well.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion