Sony VX2100 vs. Canon XL1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old January 17th, 2007, 08:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony VX2100 vs. Canon XL1

I have an original Canon XL1 and recently purchased a new Sony VX2100. I'm afraid I'm beginning to have buyer's remorse, especially after really pushy follow up calls from people in Sales, telling me that I NEED all the extra batteries, extended warrenties, rapid charders, filters, etc.

I'm pretty sure that I would have prefered the XL2 or maybe even an XL1S to the VX2100, but am I wrong to assume that purchasing a VX2100 is an upgrade from the original Canon XL1?

I regret to have read about the problems people are having with the 16:9 that the VX2100 offers, but with things like time lapse, and phenominal low light capabilities, is it enough to say that I made a decent upgrade?

Thanks a lot!
Daniel Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #2
Wrangler

Welcome to DVinfo Daniel. Buyers remorse is a terrible thing.... it's best not to look back, but just enjoy your new camera and learn what it can do.

I don't think it's fair to characterize the VX-2100's 16:9 mode as a "problem people have had." It's really just the nature of the beast. The 2100 is a fairly minor upgrade from the 2000, which is about a 7 year old design. 16:9 wasn't viewed as such a high priority then. The camera was designed to give excellent performance in 4:3 mode, but as a bonus they included anamorphic 16:9. It works fine, but the limitation is in the fact that the CCD's simply don't have enough pixels to deliver a full resolution widescreen image. But that's also the case with the XL1S, PD-170, DVX100, DVC30 and many other cameras.

But as you mention, you got a camera that is tough to beat in low light situations, and it really delivers a beautiful image. Recently I was looking at some footage I shot several years ago with my VX-2000, which I don't use anymore, and realized that I'd forgotten just how nice a job it did.

So why not put the camera through its paces and objectively evaluate the results? Don't condemn it without a trial! Then if you are truly disappointed you can always "bite the bullet" and sell. If you got a good deal then a "like new" camera should still bring a decent price. Be sure to save all the original packing as that's generally a plus if you sell.

BTW, next time you make a purchase be sure to use one of our DVinfo sponsors. They won't hound you to buy overpriced accessories that you don't really need! :-) http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors/
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 09:26 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Daniel:

I've compared my VX2000 to footage my brother shot on the same day with the XL1. At the time, there was a bit of snobbery by my brother... but it quickly evaporated when he saw the resulting footage.... There are diffences in look, and feel. But there is no doubt the VX's can produce as good an image in regular lighting situations, and outperform in low light. And.. I think the Sonys are tougher and more rugged....

So you didn't go wrong.
Old January 18th, 2007, 05:47 AM   #4
Regular Crew

i am partial to my VX...

Daniel.

I have used the XL1 and the VX for some time now. i would have to say the only advantage the xl1 has over the vx is working with the audio, built in mini-mixer, 4 channel recording.

But...as far as picture quality and low light abilities...i would have to rate the vx as #1 between the 2. i recently sent my vx in for servicing and i used the xl1 in its place. it makes me really miss my vx.

I would say, congratulations on purchasing a great camera!
just my thoughts...
Jay Voog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #5
Regular Crew

on previous comments

Thank you all for getting back to me and you're comments have been very helpful. I have two gigs coming up and I know that one is a low-light event. The other event I'm using both my XL1 and the VX2100. I'm looking forward to a few tests and really putting it to the test during these events.

Thanks again for the comments.

Daniel
Daniel Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lynn
The other event I'm using both my XL1 and the VX2100. I'm looking forward to a few tests and really putting it to the test during these events.

I would be interested in your comments after you do this...let me know if you have the chance.
Jay Voog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 12:20 PM   #7
Trustee

The XL1s is the reason I now own the VX2100. I LOVE it over the XL1s and don't regret a thing. BTW, shoot in 4:3 and convert to 16:9 in Post, it comes out beautiful!!!!

Both are great cameras but the VX2100 has gotten me a lot of better looking footage than the XL1s for my skill level. I shoot full manual btw.
Old January 25th, 2007, 08:08 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Ditto to the above. I have a vx2000 and 2100. Love 'em! I shoot about 15 weddings per season, cheerleading competitions, graduations, and funerals. I have only had to clean the heads once. The ONLY complaint is the audio input butthey work well with my wireless. These cameras are rugged and shoot beautiful footage. One thing I believe is crucial, use only Sony tapes, do not switch back and forth. You can get the premium for about $2.69 on the net.

Relax and enjoy, your next camera may well be another Sony.
Ken Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hudson
One thing I believe is crucial, use only Sony tapes, do not switch back and forth. You can get the premium for about $2.69 on the net.

I agree 110%, I use the Premium DVM60PRL

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion