DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   dead red CCD? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/87153-dead-red-ccd.html)

Don Bazley February 21st, 2007 03:34 PM

dead red CCD?

Has anyone ever had a chip die in the VX? I'm guessing that is the problem I have. The cam is not producing any red at all (so it cannot be white balanced). I just became aware of the problem. The camera was fine last time it was used.

I'm wondering if any else has ever had a similar issue and also wondering roughly how much $$$ I may be looking at to get it fixed.

-Don

Chris Hull February 21st, 2007 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bazley
Has anyone ever had a chip die in the VX? I'm guessing that is the problem I have. The cam is not producing any red at all (so it cannot be white balanced). I just became aware of the problem. The camera was fine last time it was used.

I'm wondering if any else has ever had a similar issue and also wondering roughly how much $$$ I may be looking at to get it fixed.

-Don

i had a 2100[recently sold]yes red went on my cam ,reds were black,sent it to sony uk expecting 174 or so pound cost but the cam was returned repaired and i never got a bill,i dont know if it was a mistake or not.on the despatch note it said 1.0 pwb-fb-895 flexible
1.0 prism assy a1- misoperating
a-replacement.
make what you like of that.
chris

Don Bloom February 21st, 2007 06:43 PM

There was a recall on PD170s which fell into a certain range of serial numbers for bad CCDs which were repaired (replaced) by Sony at no charge but I'm not sure if the VX cameras also had this recall.
I would search thru the Sony forum here and see if that recall is listed and if there is a link to Sony which ran the block(s) of serial numbers in question.
If not try giving Sony a call
I can only give you the Teaneck NJ phone number-1-201-833-5300

HTHs
Don

Don Bazley February 23rd, 2007 04:03 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Thanks also Don for passing on the NJ number. I'm gonna give them a try right now.

-Don B.

J. Stephen McDonald February 23rd, 2007 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom
There was a recall on PD170s which fell into a certain range of serial numbers for bad CCDs which were repaired (replaced) by Sony at no charge but I'm not sure if the VX cameras also had this recall.
I would search thru the Sony forum here and see if that recall is listed and if there is a link to Sony which ran the block(s) of serial numbers in question.
If not try giving Sony a call
I can only give you the Teaneck NJ phone number-1-201-833-5300

HTHs
Don

Yes, the VX2100 is on a list for free CCD replacement by Sony. Call the Sony 800 number and there's a special department set up to handle these claims and to instruct you how to send in your camera. Good Luck.