How to keep the camera dry? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old April 29th, 2003, 06:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Hi Mike. The weather forcast ( report) isn’t good and I want to get footage of a May day ritual at a pre-christian site near here. If I miss it I’ll have to wait a year. Is the low-tec saran wrap ( cling film) waterproofing method safe or will the camera get too hot.
I would also like to know about proper rain covers but haven’t got time to get hold of one before Thursday. Robb
Robb Bradstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2003, 08:47 AM   #2
Wrangler

The Saran Wrap approach is an emergency measure but it will keep a camera safe in quite a bit of moisture. The thinness of the wrap means that it will be OK vis-a-vis camera heat unless you wrap it multiple times and keep it on for hours. Occasionally I will forget to kill the power on my 150 and place it in the padded case for an hour or so. It gets quite warm but not hot.

My first defense for rain is a large umbrella held by an assistant. No amount of rain cover or Saran Wrap will keep rain off the lens as well as an umbrella.

I also shoot out the side door of my van and under the rear hatch (in the raised postion. Been known to turn the rear seat around so I can shoot in comfort too.

Portabrace, Petrol and a group out of the UK make inclement weather covers for 150/2000 cameras. Probably 5 manufacturers in all. Not counting the true waterproof diving containers.
Old April 29th, 2003, 11:25 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Mike. I'll try the umbrella and if possible shoot out of my car. Thanks again for all the info. Robb
Robb Bradstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2003, 04:23 PM   #4
Trustee

What about the Morris Dancers or is that only on the other side of the pond? It's not pagan but close. Grown men waving hankies and hopping up and down.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion