Sharpness: CP or Post? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old May 4th, 2003, 10:45 AM   #1
Tourist

Sharpness: CP or Post?

Hey Guys

I have a question to ask, regarding sharpness and the VX2000. Although this is my first post, I've been watching the boards (in particular the VX2000/PD150 board) for some time, and it seems that quite a few people prefer sharpening their video in post production rather than using the CP.

My question is; why? What is the advantage in doing it yourself in post rather than letting the camera take care of it? Is it just it gives you more control? I am using Premiere 6.

Any help would be much appreciated

Regards

Mark Kingham
Mark Kingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2003, 12:58 PM   #2
Wrangler

Anytime you can make choices in the comfort and convenience of your editing desk, you are ahead. Any choice you make in the camera, you HAVE to live with.

I have a lot of filters for my 150 and I only use the UV (always) and the rotating polarizer (sparingly).

I think you should use presets to create the picture you like best in most situations and almost always use that setup. Deviate only when shooting conditions force a change. Make all artistic decisions other than those strictly associated with making a good shot at the editing desk.

It is only my opinion, mind you.
Old May 4th, 2003, 02:13 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I agree with Mike, once it's on tape, you live with it like it or not. I would rather not do a certain effect than have the chance of one of my clients coming to me and hating the effect and there's nothing I can do short of redit and delting the scene.
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2003, 03:46 PM   #4
Major Player

Hello Mark,

A safe rule I always abide by is as follows

sharpen in camera CP, soften in post

there are some technical reasons...

1 sharpen in camera CP happens prior to storing on DV tape, whereas any sharpening in post will also sharpen any recorded DV artifacts like mosquito noise and CCD noise etc

2 soften in post is preferred since any CCD noise will also be softened along with DV artifacts

The rare occasion I sharpen in camera CP is when I have an adapter on the lens to offset any slight softness brought on by the adapter

hope this is of use

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2003, 04:13 PM   #5
Tourist

Hey Guys

Thanks for your quick replies. I can see both points of view now, and so I guess Ill try a few tests and see just what results I can get.

It's amazing how much of an improvement can be made in post to DV footage. Although I have After Effects I very rarely use it and tend to stick to premiere to alter things like the gamma level, contrast and the brightness. I do tend to make all of my video very slightly more contrasty in post to make it a little more 'punchy' without making it unnatural.

Thanks again
Mark Kingham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion