Dubbing from vhs tape to vx2100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old May 11th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Dubbing from vhs tape to vx2100?

Can someone please help me? How do I dub a vhs tape from my vcr to my sony vx2100? Ive read both manuals which are only telling me how to dub from vx2100 to vcr.

Please someone, help a girl out :(

Im trying to do this for a friend, no fee.

I have the red, yellow, white cable. Thanks. Ill be here awaiting a response...
Kim Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I believe the 2100 has the same option as the 150/170 so switch it on in the VCR mode then goto the MENU then to the 2nd menu heading which IIRC is "V" go into that and turn on the AV/DV OUT. Again this is from memory but I believe thats what it's called.
Now plug the VCR into you cameras RCAs or S vid plug and you can either capture it back to your NLE thru the FW connection OR hit RECORD on the camera and PLAY on the VCR and watch the show.
BTW I'd help even if you weren't a girl ;-)
Don

Last edited by Don Bloom; May 11th, 2007 at 05:10 PM. Reason: forgot the last instruction
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 08:23 AM   #3
Wrangler

With my VX-2000 in play mode, it's the first menu item (icon like a little camera with a V in it as Don says). The item is called A/V->DV OUT and it needs to be turned on.

It was a long time ago when I tried to do this myself, but I remember for some reason I couldn't get it to pass the video through firewire to my computer in real time but there was no problem recording it to tape.

Also, FWIW, you probably won't be able to copy any sort of commercial VHS tape this way. The camera will sense any copy protection on the VHS tape and refuse to record it.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks guys! your help worked! boyd, it is a family documentary, not commercial :)
Kim Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm sure this seems amusing, reviviing such an old thread, but it's a result of using search first for an answer.
I'd like to use the vx2000 analog to digital conversion / pass through feature into Vegas if possible with firewire connecting camera to computer. The catch I'm seeing is that the camera needs to be in VCR mode to use A/D conversion, which leaves the capture software in Vegas unable to capture because it demands that a tape be inserted. Inserting a tape leads Vegas Capture to only interact with the tape's recording, not the feed-through signal.
Vegas Capture will record live if the camera's in record mode, but that disables the camera's D/A conversion mode.
I think I may have done it long ago, but perhaps used VX2000 into Nero's or ATI's capture application, using RCA/S-Video cables into a breakout box.
Can I do it with a VX2000 / Vegas combination?
Thanks.
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #6
Major Player

Well, a little more search turned up the answer...
The trick is under Vegas Capture > Options > Preferences > General Tab > Un-check 1st box: "Enable Device Control."
Now I can hit Vegas Capture's Record without tape in transport and it catches the fed-through signal from the camera which is in VCR A/D mode.
Thanks all past and present (especially Albert Rogers and Ed Troxel from this 2004 post here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/what-happ...ure-vegas.html)
TtL
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion