VX2100 repair or replace? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old June 25th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

VX2100 repair or replace?

My VX2100 is out of service due to a glitch with red and green vertical lines smeared across the entire frame. It's a camera problem (likely the blue CCD) - it shows up on the LCD, on the viewfinder, and on the tape. It started out with an intermittent blue flickering a few weeks ago, then finally started doing this. No question it's got to go in for repair.

http://stormhighway.com/blog/vx2100glitch1.jpg
http://stormhighway.com/blog/vx2100glitch2.jpg
http://stormhighway.com/blog/vx2100glitch3.jpg

This camera has served me well over 3 years. But with the price of a new VX2100 just over $2K, I am debating whether to send the camera in for repair or just buy a new one. If the repair bill ends up being over $600-$800, then a new camera is only going to be a little more than $1000 extra. In that case I'd rather wait a while for funding to come in and buy new.

I'm also hearing the talk about the VX2100 being discontinued, and wonder how long I have to make this decision.

My 2 other cameras will carry me through the summer, so there is no urgency. Once winter arrives I will be doing more nighttime shoots and will need that 1 lux.

So what would you do? Anyone have this same problem and could estimate the repair cost?
Dan Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Dan,

You should call Sony. They have a program to replace bad CCDs on those cameras. You may be able to have it repaired at no cost.

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/news-i...EN&news_id=118

Chris
Chris Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info! That certainly looks like it could be my problem. Wow, if I can get this repaired for free that would make my month. I wonder if there is anyone else who got the Sony defect repaired and can confirm that my screen captures are indicating the same thing.
Old June 26th, 2007, 07:25 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Robinson View Post
Thanks for the info! That certainly looks like it could be my problem. Wow, if I can get this repaired for free that would make my month. I wonder if there is anyone else who got the Sony defect repaired and can confirm that my screen captures are indicating the same thing.

I contacted Sony about this same issue and they not only repaired that but everything else that I listed as a problem with the camera...all for free.
including free shipping there and back.
I was pleasantly surprised! Give them a call.
Jay Voog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Got the UPS label from Sony and will be shipping the camera to Laredo today. I'll update as soon as I hear something.
Old June 27th, 2007, 01:00 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Glad you're so happy with the VX2k1 that you were prepared to buy another on the strength of its performance. But I reckon you'd be hard pushed to find one new now, as Sony's HDV line has completely taken over in this segment of the market. The best thing is the new cameras are 16:9, and seeing 4:3 stuff these days severely dates it in myview.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 10:54 AM   #7
Regular Crew

B&H still lists the camera on their site as being in stock - is this true?

I have the FX1 and while I love it, it just can't perform to spec in low light like the VX2100 can. I shoot almost everything in HD now except for low light subjects (primarily outdoors at night), which the VX2100 is needed for. In those cases I'd rather have the cleaner, brighter SD video than the dark, grainy video in HD. Since most of my current business is still in the SD world, the VX2100 will still be useful for the foreseeable future.

I'd love it if an HDV camera came out that matched the VX2100 in its low light performance - if one is ever made, I'd be first on the list of buyers. Even if it was a consumer model it would be fine, as all I need it is to fill the gap in low light where the FX1 can't be used. So far I haven't seen anything that can do this aside from maybe the new XDCAM, which is way over my budget.
Old June 27th, 2007, 11:00 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Dan,

Yes, the VX2100 is still in stock at B&H. I just ordered one on Monday. I would like to make the switch to HD (mostly to widescreen) but I can't afford to buy two cameras right now.

Chris
Chris Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 02:59 PM   #9
Major Player

The vx2100 is rated at 1 lux and your fx1 is rated at 3 lux. None of the current prosomer hdv model cameras compare to the low light of the vx2100/pd170. If you need low light, you should stick with the vx2100.

I use my cameras for weddings, sports and corporate work. If the wedding is going to be by candle light, the fx1 just will not cut it in my opinion. I talk clients out of HD in those circumstances. If I am within 5 to 10ft of the client with a good light, then the fx1/z1u or my v1u works well but they still need light. Sometimes you can get away with low light on the vx2100/pd170.

Jon
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #10
Go Cycle

I sold my PD 170 and VX2100 for a FX-1 and a Canon XH A-1. The 4:3 picture of the PD and VX were just getting lost on my widescreen TV's.

I think 4:3 will be a thing of the past shortly.
Old July 13th, 2007, 02:43 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Just an update to report that I received my camera back from the Sony repair center today, total round trip time was about 10 days. They not only fixed the CCDs, but they also:

1.) repaired the broken tape eject button without me requesting it (I don't have to use my car key to eject a tape anymore)

2.) sent an extra NP-F570 battery (I shipped the camera without a battery).

My only expense was $10 for the box and packaging at UPS (I am out of town now and don't have the original box).

All I can say is, a big thanks and applause is deserved for both Sony and for this forum!!!
Dan Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion