Any experience with this dealer? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old May 19th, 2003, 07:00 AM   #1
New Boot

Any experience with this dealer?

Hello all,

First of all I'd like to say thanks to all for contributing to a great forum. Since I decided to buy a dv camera months ago this forum has been the primary place I've looked to for reliable information.

Anyway, I have decided to get a PD150P and was originally going to buy it from B&H, as this was the cheapest (reliable) place I could find. But then I realised that, because I'm in the UK, I hadn't accounted for import tax and VAT and the price became pretty close to what I can get it for over here from Hiwayhifi.co.uk. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this dealer, good or bad.

The second thing is that my budget prevents me from getting all the extras that I will need (such as 16:9 converter, ME66 mic etc) right away and rather than buy cheap equipment to keep me going, I will wait and buy the good stuff when I can afford it. I'm probably going to spend a few months learning how to use it anyway. I'd just like to know any essentials that I should get right away, such as protective equipment. I'll get a protective lens filter and a carry case, anything else?

Thanks a lot. I'm looking forward to contributing to more posts when I know what I'm talking about.

Steve
Steve Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 07:07 AM   #2
Wrangler

Tripod. Spare Battery . . . the stock unit is rather small. Headphones
Old May 19th, 2003, 07:47 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Mike. I hadn't thought about the headphones. The tripod issue is a bit trickier though. Again, I don't want to spend £200 now and then have to buy a £400 one in a couple of months when I start to film (i'm planning on making an independent film btw) so I might hold off for now, unless you think otherwise.

Regarding the first question, I hope it doesn't offend. I realise that where to buy is a sensitive topic but living in the UK makes it a bit trickier and I was just looking for some experience with this British dealer.

Steve
Old May 19th, 2003, 08:07 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Steve,

I've ordered quite a bit of equipment from B&H, and had the items shipped to either Korea or Japan...and they've always been great. I recommend them.
Old May 19th, 2003, 08:16 AM   #5
Major Player

John

Steve will have to pay import tax (ca 7% I think, depends on item) as well as VAT (in the UK this is a 'luxurious' 17.5%) on top of any shipping charges. These taxes are applied to the item plus shipping charges.

It can end up getting pretty expensive.
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2003, 08:26 AM   #6
New Boot

Thats right. If I did buy from America, I was wondering if I could claim American tax back (sales tax, right?). It seems a bit unfair to have to pay the tax to both countries. I know you can claim the tax back if you physically go to the country, buy the item and declare it at customs but I'm not sure about online purchases. Any thoughts?
Old May 19th, 2003, 03:11 PM   #7
Wrangler

You don't get to pay state sales tax unless you make the physically make the purchase in-person. I buy from B&H all the time and don't pay NY sales tax. You shouldn't either.
Old May 19th, 2003, 03:45 PM   #8
Outer Circle

Perhaps take a drive over to Germany? (via the tunnel) What's the British Pound worth these days against the Euro?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 08:06 AM   #9
New Boot

Nowhere near as good as it was three months ago. Its not a bad idea but I've just been to a roadshow today and the salesman said that they've recently put their prices up to bring them in line with the rest of Europe, so I don't know if they'd be any cheaper in Germany.

The dealer I'm leaning towards includes a two year Sony Prime Warranty. I found out what this meant today (apparantly Sony send you a replacement PD150 to use whilst yours is being repared) and it looked like it was worth a little extra.

Steve
Old May 20th, 2003, 09:48 AM   #10
Major Player

Steve,

The sony 2 year warranty is standard on any Sony pro camera now, so you shouln't be taking that into account as part of a deal, it's standard, it's the silver support. Have you tried cke distribution in the uk, I've bought a few things from them and they've been really good. I know they do the PD-150 their web site is www.cke.co.uk

John.
John Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 10:40 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
If I did buy from America, I was wondering if I could claim American tax back (sales tax, right?)
As Mike states, you only pay sales tax within state.
Quote:
I know you can claim the tax back if you physically go to the country, buy the item and declare it at customs but I'm not sure about online purchases.
Actually, the USA seems to be the only country that doesn't do this. A couple of US salespeople have told be that tax refunds only occur in Europe, although I've had refunds from Canada, Australia and Singapore.

It seems a bit hit and miss as to whether or not you get stung, but it generally depends on the size and value of the shipment. While in the UK, I had to pay import tax and VAT on a lens I bought online at B&H. It was a big box, shipment value something in the region of $800-$900, and I was in the UK.

I've just received a couple of filters, again from B&H, but no import and value tax. Slightly smaller box, total value around $200, and I'm in Switzerland.

Go figure.
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2003, 01:49 PM   #12
New Boot

John, thanks for the website. I've visited it a few times already and it was their roadshow I went to today. They were very helpful and I finally got to try a PD150 for myself. I also got to try a steadicam-type stabilizer called a handycam (I think, from a German company called ABC). I was rubbish with it (the camera kept spinning around to face me) but the guy from cke was very good with it. I could see the benefits of a bit of practise.

They did have some slightly older PD150s with 1 year warranties and these were over £400 cheaper. I was told they were exactly the same, just that Sony brought in the two year warranty policy and they put the prices up to bring them in line with the rest of Europe as I mentioned before. I checked the serials, and they were all after the audio fix. The Silver Prime warranty sounds good, but I don't know if its £400 good.

Nigel, you're right it is a bit hit and miss when it comes to import tax. I bought a DVD from America on two seperate occasions, one time I paid import tax, the other I didn't. Unfortunately, with this kind of money I will have to assume that I will pay import tax and take it into account. As you said, because of the size of the item, it also seems more likely I will have to pay.

Be a nice surprise if I didn't though :o)

Steve
Steve Pierce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion