The New F - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XAVC PMW-F5 / F55 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XAVC PMW-F5 / F55 CineAlta
35mm CMOS Sensor / 4K Ultra-HD Camcorders

Old October 30th, 2012, 04:03 AM   #106
Trustee

Re: The New F

So I realize I'm probably alone in this but the real appeal to me with this camera is the addition of highspeed but unfortunately the camera isn't expected to be released until february and then the 180 and 240fps upgrades (on the f55) aren't expected to be released until a firmware update is out (which I'm betting won't be free looking at how sony has worked in the past and how arri ran their highspeed upgrade) So the price would have to be VERY competitive to make me want to switch away from my little f3.

I do like the looks of the lenses though, a full 2.0 6 piece set looks nice.
Old October 30th, 2012, 08:00 AM   #107
Major Player

The lens set Looks very nice. The cameras too, but I'm happy with my Epic for the time being. Very curious about the price of the lens kit. $20-25.000 maybe for the full kit?
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #108
Wrangler

Yow. Sony means business. I do believe I will be upgrading.
Old October 30th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #109
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen View Post
So I realize I'm probably alone in this but the real appeal to me with this camera is the addition of highspeed but unfortunately the camera isn't expected to be released until february and then the 180 and 240fps upgrades (on the f55) aren't expected to be released until a firmware update is out (which I'm betting won't be free looking at how sony has worked in the past and how arri ran their highspeed upgrade) So the price would have to be VERY competitive to make me want to switch away from my little f3.

I do like the looks of the lenses though, a full 2.0 6 piece set looks nice.
firmware updates will not cost anything.
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 10:36 AM   #110
Inner Circle

Wow the F55 sounds nice on paper. Look forward to a visit to Abel once it is there for a test run.
Old October 30th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #111
Major Player

Re: The New F5 & F55

Given that these new models are new fully fledged 4K camera systems, it would follow that they warrant a new thread/forum separate from the F3.

Is this possible?
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #112
Trustee

Let's wait until they are shipping at least before a new thread is started, in the meantime incase anyone missed the live chat on Facebook today wiht Sony, here is a link to a transcript if you are interested to check it out.

Please enjoy it while the link lasts: From today's #TheNewF Webchat - October 29th 2012

:D
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #113
Regular Crew

So far, this is the best info regarding Sony's PMW-F55 and PMW-5.
Den Lennie from f-stop academy posted a hands-on introduction to the cameras.
Worth reading & Watching video included within the link!
Click below!

Sony F5 and F55 (From the horses mouth - not speculation...) - F-Stop Academy
Trell Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 05:30 AM   #114
Major Player

I also wonder what that viewfinder will cost. The "good ones" for the big ENG cameras costs around 8000GBP
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 05:27 PM   #115
Regular Crew

Here's another link direct from Sony U.K.
Topic: PMW-F55
Video clip: 18 minutes in length!
Enjoy!

Introducing the PMW-F55 : Sony Professional
Trell Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 06:35 AM   #116
Inner Circle

The lower cost Sony EVFs will most likely be less than the $8k of the C35W. I'd estimate the smaller one to be in the $2k region. Of course your not tied to Sony EVF's, you can use the HDMI port to output EVF overlays to a third party VF or monitor.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 10:51 AM   #117
Inner Circle

Hi Alister,

I think you will want a high quality VF on the F5 or F55. HDMI would not be my choice for a VF, I want all the functions of the camera I can get in my VF. But if the Sony color 3.5" is only $2K that would be great.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 02:32 PM   #118
Trustee

Do the new Sony EVF's use the SDI output and thus are they useable on other cameras (i.e. F3).
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 02:48 PM   #119
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
Do the new Sony EVF's use the SDI output and thus are they useable on other cameras (i.e. F3).
No. There's a proprietary viewfinder port on the upper, right side (dumb side) of the camera.

I believe I read it's a new format connector for Sony, digital in nature. To my knowledge, all HD EVF ports on Sony cams prior have carried analog component HD, including the F65.

There's a rumor (yeah, I know) that Sony has been making the OLED panel in the latest iteration of the Red Bomb EVF. Either way, both the new Sony DVF-EL100 OLED and the new Red Bomb are OLED panels at 1280x784. Previous to this last year's NAB, the Red Bomb finder was 720P LCOS. Red owners are raving about the new OLED EVF, and the previous LCOS based unit has taken quite a hit on the used market. Keep in mind even the 720P LCOS is much better than most people have ever put their eye to, I had one on my Red One and I miss it all the time. The Alexa's EVF is also 720p LCOS.

The Red OLED finder is $3900, so I think there's a great chance Sony's version will be a good amount cheaper (my guess, $2500-$2700 list, $2000 street?)

I suspect we're in for a real treat with the 720p OLED. I have the 17" Sony OLED PVM and it's one of my most coveted pieces of gear, bar-none.

Last edited by Nate Weaver; November 3rd, 2012 at 03:36 PM.
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 03:41 AM   #120
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver View Post
No. There's a proprietary viewfinder port on the upper, right side (dumb side) of the camera.

I believe I read it's a new format connector for Sony, digital in nature. To my knowledge, all HD EVF ports on Sony cams prior have carried analog component HD, including the F65.
Nate is right. It is actually the same connector as on the PMW500/350/320 but uses a new digital interface. I tried to plug in an EVF from a 350 and the Sony guy from Japan told me not to because it wouldn't work.

I wondered whether the 3.5" EVF was the same panel as the 320/350 kit EVF but it actually appeared sharper when I tried it. Can't wait to see the OLED EVF, should be great. The Cynic in me wonders whether the new interface is to stop it poaching sales from Sony's existing high end EVFs!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XAVC PMW-F5 / F55 CineAlta