DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XAVC PMW-F5 / F55 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xavc-pmw-f5-f55-cinealta/)
-   -   Sony announces new 4K camera systems PMW-F55 and PMW-5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xavc-pmw-f5-f55-cinealta/511765-sony-announces-new-4k-camera-systems-pmw-f55-pmw-5-a.html)

Jim Giberti November 1st, 2012 11:22 AM

Re: Sony announces new 4K camera systems PMW-F55 and PMW-5

I hope so too Paul.
We were going to get a pair of Scarlet packages for an upcoming project after we realized there was not going to be any 60p on the C300s (our first choice.)
We've put all decisions on hold until we get the full info on the F5s.

Paul Cronin November 1st, 2012 11:43 AM

I was also looking at getting a Scarlet this month but put that on hold. The C300 was purchased the end of Sept and has worked hard and will work hard till the second camera shows up. I think the C300 now that I own it will be a nice B-Cam for the Scarlet or F5. Does not look like the C500 is even in my sights anymore.

I do find the C300 image quality matches or exceeds the PMW500, F800, 700 range of XDCAM, in a much smaller package and loads of lens choices for a fraction of the cost.

Dom Stevenson November 1st, 2012 08:47 PM

Sony are incredible. It seems hardly a month goes by without a major new release. Meanwhile i've heard nothing from Panasonic for what seems like aeons. No doubt they'll be back with new gear at some point, but in the Sonycentric UK at least, it's hard to see how they'll pick up much of the market share.

Alister Chapman November 2nd, 2012 03:49 PM

You are not restricted to Sonys EVF options, you can use third party EVF's like the new Cineroid or Alphatron,. I think Sony realise that for the F5 in particular to really be a hit the package price is crucial hence the small 720p EVF.

Mark OConnell November 2nd, 2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cronin (Post 1761709)
Jim have you ever purchased a VF for a PDW F800, 700, or PMW 500? I had a C35W with my XDCAM Line. The C35W is $11K retail and that is not up to what they will offer with these cameras. So yes $10K is what I think the VF will cost.

Happy to be proven wrong but these are not budget cameras.

If you can go out and buy an ipod touch with a retina display for $299- why would you need to spend 10K on a viewfinder?
If you can get a display that good that cheaply, what's the other $9700- going to be spent on?

Tom Roper November 2nd, 2012 07:34 PM

"The next big thing is already here."

I'm sure the ipod touch retina is a great display for $299, but quite honestly, if you don't understand the value of having an optical viewfinder attached on your F5 or F55, you should probably go ahead and just record the video with the ipod as well.

Mark Watson November 2nd, 2012 10:11 PM

Hard to find any faults with that F5 camera.

About the high speed feature, Juan Martinez of Sony had this to say;

"And even at high speed, there’s no limit to the recording time because the cameras are not recording to a buffer and then spooling off to the recorder. You can record high frame rate for as long as there’s room on the card or in the recorder..."

And it can take Canon lenses.

TVTechnology: New Sony Cameras Designed for 4K TV

Brian Drysdale November 3rd, 2012 02:31 AM

Mitch Gross points out the differences between the Colour Filter Array of the sensors used on the F5 ans F55.
Sony’s PMW-F5 and F55: Defining CFA | CineTechnica

David Knaggs November 3rd, 2012 08:06 AM

Great article, Brian. Thanks for pointing it out. I particularly liked the explanation as to why the F5 sensor is rated at 2000 ISO and the F55 at 1250 ISO.

Paul Cronin November 3rd, 2012 10:58 AM

Agree David a must read by Mitch Gross to learn about the two sensors.

Mark OConnell November 3rd, 2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Roper (Post 1761951)
"The next big thing is already here."

I'm sure the ipod touch retina is a great display for $299, but quite honestly, if you don't understand the value of having an optical viewfinder attached on your F5 or F55, you should probably go ahead and just record the video with the ipod as well.

I wasn't suggesting that you don't need an EVF, but making the point that the components that go into one are not going to cost 10K.

Charles Papert November 3rd, 2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Roper (Post 1761951)
quite honestly, if you don't understand the value of having an optical viewfinder attached on your F5 or F55

optical??!

Tom Roper November 3rd, 2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark OConnell (Post 1762035)
I wasn't suggesting that you don't need an EVF, but making the point that the components that go into one are not going to cost 10K.

Yes, I agree.

Brett Sherman November 4th, 2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Giberti (Post 1761719)
The F5 will compete with the Scarlet and the C300 pricing. That's the new benchmark for an affordable, professional film making rig. And Sony knows that they can own that market because the F5 offers so much more than the C300.

I think this might compete more with the C500. In addition to purchasing a viewfinder, almost all of the components for the F5 are going to be higher priced than the C300 equivalent. Batteries will be a lot more expensive. SxSPro+ is going to be a lot more expensive than CompactFlash. Some rigging will be required (what do you do with your right hand?) The C300 is viable out of the box. I'm thinking final cost for an F5 is going to be around $25,000.

The F5 looks like a great camera for television and film production. But it doesn't meet my needs for a more compact run and gun/documentary camera. The C300 fits my needs much better.

David Heath November 4th, 2012 11:13 AM

You only need SxS Pro+ for the higher end codecs - for XDCAM422 normal SxS is fine. And for batteries then although they are introducing a new range, I believe any V-lock will do. And using V-lock batteries can be quite significant if you need to power accessories such as radio mic receivers, battery light etc. I think your question about your right hand is answered if you get the shoulder mount option - I seem to recall photos with a handgrip?

But it's unlikely that any one camera will be optimal for all situations, 100% of the time, and yes, it's quite likely that for some situations the C300 may be preferable.

But the F5 does look as if it has more scope for growth should your requirements change. XDCAM422 for now - as the C300 - but the possibility of XAVC, and/or the 4k recorder in the future.

I think it's silly to call anything "future-proofed", but these cameras may go a fair way towards it. I think what Jim is more likely trying to say is it will compete more with the C300 for price, but the C500 for features.

I'm still waiting for real, on the street pricing. Far too much guessing going on!