F55, cache record and nanoflash at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XAVC PMW-F5 / F55 CineAlta

Sony XAVC PMW-F5 / F55 CineAlta
35mm CMOS Sensor / 4K Ultra-HD Camcorders

Old March 14th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #1
Major Player

F55, cache record and nanoflash

The F55 (and F5) are lacking cache or prerecord buffer, making it far from perfect for wildlife filming. I am considering to use a F55 with onboard filming 4K XAVC and attaching a nanoflash to capture 3 seconds cache in HD. Is this possible, 4K in camera and output to nano in HD?
Old March 14th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: F55, cache record and nanoflash

SDI main output is HD 1920x1080, or you can configure the SDI(sub) and HDMI to output HD.

Just make sure 4k SDI/HDMI out is disabled in the menu.

One point of consideration however is how the F55 will treat the HD version of 4k since they have slightly different aspect ratios. Will the HD version be slightly letter-boxed like I have seen in post taking 4k down to HD? (ie. very thin bars on top and bottom) or will the F55 crop the sides by 128 pixels total to fill the frame vertically? I don't have an answer to that.
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: F55, cache record and nanoflash

You can choose how the down conversion is done in the output format menu. LB or 16:9 Crop.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XAVC PMW-F5 / F55 CineAlta