Anton Bauer Dionic 90 on F5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XAVC PMW-F5 / F55 CineAlta

Sony XAVC PMW-F5 / F55 CineAlta
35mm CMOS Sensor / 4K Ultra-HD Camcorders

Old July 10th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #1
Major Player

Anton Bauer Dionic 90 on F5

Anybody using Dionic 90's or other Anton/Bauer batteries on an F5/F55? I'm looking at getting AB's battery adapter so I can have a pool of Dionic 90's shared between an F800 and F5. Does Sony play nice with battery readout?

Anton/Bauer - Products - QRC-4K-S
Old July 11th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Anton Bauer Dionic 90 on F5

My recommendation would be yes to getting the A-B adapter but 'no' to the Dionic 90's. my experience with them is that they don't hold up well under heavy power draw situations. And when they go, they lose power quickly. The newer, larger A-B Dionic HD batteries, however, hold up really well, even powering an 800 with a sun gun. Usually it's not just the camera power you're dealing with, but all the other stuff - viewfinder, recorder, on-board monitor, etc - things that draw power but you hate to combine a bunch of batteries so the camera battery carries it all.
If you want to use 90's, I'd suggest getting one of the A-B double battery adapters - that lets you power from two at once. It adds a little extra weight, but gives you the major advantage of being able to hot swap one of the batteries and still keep everything on.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 10:18 PM   #3
Wrangler

Re: Anton Bauer Dionic 90 on F5

I suppose high draw situations have always been problems on Dionics, but...

...it's not like the F5 is a high draw camera. Not in simple form, anyway. 23W by itself.

Add the raw recorder though and it gets closer to 50 though, so you have that. As many other things, gonna depend on your specific situation.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XAVC PMW-F5 / F55 CineAlta