DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XAVC PMW-F5 / F55 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xavc-pmw-f5-f55-cinealta/)
-   -   Sony F5 purchase questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xavc-pmw-f5-f55-cinealta/518142-sony-f5-purchase-questions.html)

Ron Wilk August 7th, 2013 08:49 AM

Re: Sony F5 purchase questions

Hi Paul,
I have yet to receive the cam, but I believe that you are correct in re 4k XVAC. However, I came across a post that indicated that the standard SxS cards have been working for most internal recording.

I also found a post suggesting the use of the Arri MHB-1 mic holder bracket for the F5/55. Can't seem to find a reseller for that item and in addition, it mounts with a 3/8" threaded screw, whereas, the F5/55 has 1/4" mounting holes on top? However, a thread adapter might work.

While I realize that the F5/55 were intended as cinema cameras, where sound would be otherwise acquired, it nevertheless seems quite amazing that the design team missed something as critical as a removable mic holder.

Addendum: It seems that the Rycote 042902 comes with a 1/4" screw and should do the trick.

Paul Cronin August 7th, 2013 09:44 AM

I can't seem to get a straight answer on what cards will do what. I have seen the graph on the Sony site but then I hear comments that the SXS Pro not Pro+ work fine on the F5. Be nice to save some money on cards and put that toward a recorder when needed.

For the mic I have enough gear in my studios I could set up a shotgun.

Tom Roper August 7th, 2013 09:50 AM

4k XAVC internal recording and non-skew recording is why I want the same offer-bundle for the F55, or wait for something else to come along. I also don't understand why should have to get firmware updates in order to have zebra or waveform.

Ron Wilk August 7th, 2013 09:56 AM

Unless I have missed something, it already has Zebras?
But I agree, I would have been happy to purchase the F55 if there were an incentive of the type or better than offered for the F5. But when you consider the fact that in addition to the F55 body one still requires, at a minimum, an EVF, batteries and charger, and perhaps the hard case, the price differential between the current F5 package and the 55 with the same items is in the region of $15,500. For those of us whose shooting scenarios do not tend to showcase the limitations of a rolling shutter and who do not need in-camera 4k XAVC, the price differential is significant. Will there be something better next year and every year thereafter? Of course! Technology thrives on planned obsolescence. Will the prices come down? IMO, if Blackmagic can sell a 4k global shutter camera for just under $4,000, it would appear that there is room for a competitive global shutter camera—perhaps more costly than the BMCC but less than the F55—in the not too distant future. But that's conjecture based upon personal logic.

Tom Roper August 7th, 2013 09:58 AM

Is that right? Then I have missed something. Thanks for correction.

OMG gosh, duh...(senior moment), I meant histogram. I think F5/F55 does not have a histogram? Just saying that to be right for me, mobility dictates some exposure tools, non-raw internal 4k XAVC recording, and shoulder adapter, the latter two nicely covered by the F55, except no current bundle like the very attractive offer on F5.

Doug Jensen August 7th, 2013 01:14 PM

Paul,

When I get back from my shoot in France in two weeks we can get together and I'll show you how I have solved some of the issues you're wondering about, including which third-party base plate, shouldermount, and top plate that I went with. In fact, I have a beautiful Sony ECM-680 shotgun mounted on my F55 that does not get in the way of the handle and sounds great. I also have attached a standard Portabrace suede shoulder strap on the camera that does not get in the way at all and allows me to sling the camera over my shoulder just like a regular ENG camera.

BTW, as I said before, do not get the OLED viewfinder. I'm sure that you will be sorry. Everyone I know, who has spent a lot of time with both, prefers the LCD and I have no regrets at all. In fact, the two F55's we are using on this shoot in France (not mine) are fitted with OLED and we wish they had LCD.

Peter Corbett August 7th, 2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1807780)
BTW, as I said before, do not get the OLED viewfinder. I'm sure that you will be sorry. Everyone I know, who has spent a lot of time with both, prefers the LCD and I have no regrets at all. In fact, the two F55's we are using on this shoot in France (not mine) are fitted with OLED and we wish they had LCD.

Why exactly for the dissing of the OLED? There are many positive reports from F-users across all forums who say the OLED is great for size, quality and accuracy of image. You can't just say "...you will be sorry".

Paul Cronin August 7th, 2013 05:41 PM

Thanks Doug sounds great see you in a couple of weeks. With you all the way on LCD.

Agree with your email that the F55 is worth a serious look. I will demo both F5 and F55 at Rule prior to checking out your setup.

Doug Jensen August 7th, 2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Corbett (Post 1807805)
. You can't just say "...you will be sorry".

Sure I can. I'm not under any obligation to make the case one way or another. I'm just offering advice to a friend who has asked for it many times in the past.

I encourage people to make the effort to spend some quality time comparing the two models before making a purchase and then they can come to their own informed conclusions. Don't make assumptions just from the specifications. I've used both models quite a bit before I formed my opinion. And all but one of my friends who are F55 or F5 owners have come to the same conclusion. The OLED comes up short in several ways, but the LCD viewfinder is even better than the $12K viewfinder I had on my F800. So if having an EVF that is slightly smaller in physical size is really important to you, then go for the OLED. But if brightness, sharpness, angle of view, and being able to flip the diopter out of the way are important, then maybe the OLED is not the right choice.

Tom Roper August 7th, 2013 10:14 PM

The oled viewfinder is said to have focus magnification. That could be important for critical focus in 4k. Does the lcd viewfinder have focus magnification as well?

Mike Marriage August 8th, 2013 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Roper (Post 1807827)
Does the lcd viewfinder have focus magnification as well?

Yes the LCD does have focus mag.

I agree with Doug and actually prefer the LCD EVF as the image quality is great and it is more flexible to use than the OLED. However, it is a bit of a bulky design and makes mounting an onboard mic tricky. Not saying the OLED is bad by any means but it is worth trying both and seeing where your priorities lead you.

Doug, I'd love to see how you have mounted your onboard mic. I haven't managed to figure it out a good solution yet.

Doug Jensen August 9th, 2013 04:07 AM

Mike,

I'm traveling for a few weeks and don't have any photos of my mic mount handy, but it hangs to the right side of the camera kind of above the XLR jacks. I resurrected an old shock mount cage that used to be on the end of a boom pole many years ago and has been gathering dust since. With this solution the mic extends from the rear of the camera up to the lens and does'nt get in the way of the handle. I hardly even know it is there, desipite that it is a pretty big and very good mic.

I was able to mount the shock mount to the side of the camera rather than on top because my Arri top plate has a couple of threaded holes that point to the side. BTW, I really like the Arri accessories I added to the camera, and if I didn't have them, it would be impossible to setup the naked stock F5/55 properly for shooting.

Koravik Rakpetchmanee August 16th, 2013 03:31 PM

Hi,
I'm thinking buying F55 now but current Sony AU offer is F5 bundle with Oled vf or LCD : SPECIAL BUNDLE OFFERS ON SONY?S PMW-F5 DIGITAL CINEMATOGRAPHY CAMERA : Promotions : Sony Professional Solutions Australia & New Zealand

the offer is good but not for F55. I don't know if there is an offer or promotion for F55 already.

Hope Sony will has offer for F55 after the F5 bundle offer ends.

Peter Corbett August 16th, 2013 04:03 PM

I wouldn't hope for much there. My dealer pushed hard for an F55 deal and Sony Australia said there are none and won't be any in the foreseeable future.

Koravik Rakpetchmanee August 17th, 2013 03:44 AM

It's sad to hear that :(