F5 and F55 - 5 Year Cameras? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XAVC PMW-F5 / F55 CineAlta

Sony XAVC PMW-F5 / F55 CineAlta
35mm CMOS Sensor / 4K Ultra-HD Camcorders

Old February 8th, 2014, 03:52 AM   #1
Inner Circle

F5 and F55 - 5 Year Cameras?

At the recent CineAlta meeting in New York (I did not attend myself), the Sony representatives indicated that the F5 and F55 cameras would in the future be getting a number of internal hardware updates. These would be a mix of paid for and free updates that would add new features/functions or other improvements. The idea being to make the camera a better long term investment. I really hope this comes to pass as I'm fed up with replacing cameras every year.
This is what Arri have done with the Alexa. Keeping basically the same core camera and then introducing incremental upgrades such as new side panels.
Old February 8th, 2014, 05:41 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: F5 and F55 - 5 Year Cameras?

Good to hear! Now bring on an 4K XAVC to neatly fit the FS-700 please. A lot of people have neither the time nor computer power to use that RAW strap-on of yours. And neither do we afford the F55.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2014, 11:16 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacharapong Chiowanich View Post
Good to hear! Now bring on an 4K XAVC to neatly fit the FS-700 please. A lot of people have neither the time nor computer power to use that RAW strap-on of yours. And neither do we afford the F55.
Same for the F5. Seems punitive not to have 4K xavc available.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2014, 07:24 PM   #4
Inner Circle

My thoughts are that the F5 is going to get XAVC Long GOP 4K only and the FS800 gets XAVC-S only. There has to be some sort of crippling to make sure the F55 remains the flagship camera.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2014, 08:17 PM   #5
Major Player

Even without upgrades I can't see any chance of the images the F5/F55 output becoming obsolete in the next five years (or even the next 10 for that matter). We've reached a point of diminishing returns with image quality (and with display resolutions at 4K).

It's good to hear that the camera upgrade madness might finally be starting to slow down a bit.
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2014, 09:32 PM   #6
Trustee

If the R&D hype is real...the new "organic" CMOS technology could force a massive industry turnover.

"If" the touted signal to noise ratio of 80+db is real and "if" it's dynamic range really is 18, 19 or 20+ stops is not a lie...than yes, all cameras today will be obsolete in a couple of years.

Oh...Sony just purchased another factory and is outfitting it for additional sensor production. Could they be ramping up for what could be a landslide of new imaging products?

"If" this new technology is as good as they say it is, it will turn everything upside down. We could see it placed into everything from new cell phones to all the way up to a new F65 - type cameras.

The race is on. The Panasonic/Fuji partnership vs. Sony. I wouldn't imagine that Aptina-type companies would not be as advanced or wouldn't see their organic technology arriving as fast as the big two.

I'm sure that patents are going to play a big problem between all of them as well. (nasty legal fights)

I have read they could hit the market as early as 2015. I'm just wondering if the organic CMOS technology is as radical an improvement as they say it is. (the touted numbers are crazy!)

CT

"If" is the big keyword here. Building the "Spruce Goose" is one thing...actually flying it is another.

Last edited by Cliff Totten; February 10th, 2014 at 02:31 PM.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 06:46 AM   #7
Major Player

Thank RED for this. It's no way this would have happened without them. Can't even count all the firmware upgrades I've gotten over the last couple of years, and a free fan and heats ink upgrade that shaved 350g of the wheight as well.
I'm glad to hear Sony are following suit.
I think the F55 is a great camera and if I get a project that can justify it I will get one.
I do miss external buttons for sound control more than I thought I would ;-)
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 11:30 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Hoge View Post
Thank RED for this.
my thoughts :)
Old February 13th, 2014, 08:49 PM   #9
Major Player

I'm starting to wonder if my F5 will even be a five month camera. The realization that there's no 4k except in raw with an $8,000 upgrade already has me looking for other options.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 07:25 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
If the R&D hype is real...the new "organic" CMOS technology could force a massive industry turnover.

"If" the touted signal to noise ratio of 80+db is real and "if" it's dynamic range really is 18, 19 or 20+ stops is not a lie...than yes, all cameras today will be obsolete in a couple of years.

Oh...Sony just purchased another factory and is outfitting it for additional sensor production. Could they be ramping up for what could be a landslide of new imaging products?

"If" this new technology is as good as they say it is, it will turn everything upside down. We could see it placed into everything from new cell phones to all the way up to a new F65 - type cameras.

The race is on. The Panasonic/Fuji partnership vs. Sony. I wouldn't imagine that Aptina-type companies would not be as advanced or wouldn't see their organic technology arriving as fast as the big two.

I'm sure that patents are going to play a big problem between all of them as well. (nasty legal fights)

I have read they could hit the market as early as 2015. I'm just wondering if the organic CMOS technology is as radical an improvement as they say it is. (the touted numbers are crazy!)

CT

"If" is the big keyword here. Building the "Spruce Goose" is one thing...actually flying it is another.
I just hope they solve skew once and for all. We're growing up in a generation that has never/rarely seen things acquired without rolling shutter artifacts. If we can have both, that'll be grand.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2014, 08:29 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Agree Alister tired of buying new cameras every 12-18 months to keep up with client demands. The F55 is a great camera and I work it hard. So far it just keeps getting better with all the firmware up grades and glad I went with the 55.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XAVC PMW-F5 / F55 CineAlta