Affordable solid-state recording? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 14th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Let's not forget the fact that using a camera in a professional situation means it has to work.
Very true. But surely NOTHING can ever be truly 100% reliable, even when life may depend on it? (Though you may then hope it gets very close to it! :-) ) At some point small reliability improvements just don't justify large extra cost.

That said, I suspect even cheap memory may be more reliable than other parts of the system, such as batteries. I've also had occasional problems with brand new, high quality tapes in the past and I'd expect even lower spec solid state cards to be more reliable than tape.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Sony stated right of the bat that there would be other vendors making the SxS cards and it would be fine to use those instead of theirs.
That's good then, but it probably won't be as cost-effective as using memory card formats which are produced in larger volumes. I suppose having a more specialized format which is designed to high standards makes sense up to a point, but I don't see professional photographers worrying about this much - other than to buy good brand-name memory cards. Here's hoping the XDCAM EX will be sufficiently flexible as far as what memory it will accept.

As far as reliability is concerned, nothing's perfect -- so it will be interesting to see if the EX can record simultaneously to both flash memory and something like a Firestore drive. I'd rather pay separately for redundant recording than pay large amounts for a slightly more reliable memory card.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #33
Major Player

Just another thought.

It may be possible to write to both cards at the same time?

No-one's thought of that. Two copies at the same time?

Cheers Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote Just another thought.

It may be possible to write to both cards at the same time?

No-one's thought of that. Two copies at the same time?

Cheers Vaughan[/QUOTE]

Yes I did mention this proposal in another thread:

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=99817

I film loads of high end weddings and reliability and error-free media is of utmost importance. Hence I had suggested the possibility of writing simultenously on two cards...much like a RAID 1 scenario.

Brian
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds