PDW EX1 brochure discussion - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 6th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Le View Post
The lens remote port looks different than the standard 8-pin Fujinon connector (Hirose connector with one pin in the center). This one seems to have 8 pins with none in the center. So unfortunately, existing Fujinon rear lens controllers may not work unless you add an adapter. I wonder why they did that, unless the port has more functionality? (speculation only)
Considering the way XDCam itself (the format) can be managed through the camera as a media source (i.e. additional harddrive/preview device), I don't doubt that a remote to access these functions would be made available to offer these features without having to trudge through menus.

As for why, apart form the lack of conformity to Fujinon, we ARE talking about Sony here, so proprietary connections and ports should be considered.

Finally, price... if thy stuck with standard remotes, they'd be shutting the doors for many users. Lens remotes can be anything between $500 to $4k, however by doing it this way, they can not only open the doors to usability of said remote (i.e. not restricted to existing conformities of Fujinon) , but can also create the remote and sell it at a price which fits the camera demographic target market. (i.e. create a cheaper remote and sell it for less, and not be locked into Fujinon standards).
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:18 AM   #47
Inner Circle

The SDI out gives you some excellent options if you want to go beyond the LCD. For a studio shoot, you could hook up to a 24" pro lcd hd monitor for the director or DP.

My question is...Does Sony finally output pre compressed 8bit 4:2:2 out the SDI or like the other XDCAMS, only sends out post compressed 4:2:0?
If the answer is yes, this thing is a world beater. If no, still seems to be a great camera.
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:19 AM   #48
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Now that we know (almost) everything, I want the PMW-EX2 without HD-SDI, with lanc remote and for Euro 5,000:). Thanks.
I wouldnt be surprised if one did come out excluding SDI.

For now though, I believe they're doing it to nail a market of users who not only have the budget, but the means to use it.

I can tell you now, that over 85% of event videographers won't have ANY use for SDI.

When looking at the Canon equivalent, the G1 (SDI out) is almost twice the price of an A1 (no SDI).

Without SDI, you're at least looking at a $1500 difference.
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #49
Inner Circle

The MPEG 2 files are wrapped in MP4 wrappers, not MXF like the full size XDCAM's. Don't know why, bit of a mystery this one.

There is a nice controller for the zoom. Plugs in to the 8 pin socket on the hand grip.
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #50
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson View Post
Without SDI, you're at least looking at a $1500 difference.
But is that what it costs Sony to add SDI? I doubt it. I doubt Sony are paying themselves royalty fees but just adding it for nix to:

1: Up the apparant value of the camera and,
2: Potentially sell more SDI enabled devices to work with the EX and make money there.

Sort of how Adobe give away acrobat reader but sell the content creator.
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #51
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Barwood View Post
But is that what it costs Sony to add SDI? I doubt it. I doubt Sony are paying themselves royalty fees but just adding it for nix to:

1: Up the apparant value of the camera and,
2: Potentially sell more SDI enabled devices to work with the EX and make money there.

Sort of how Adobe give away acrobat reader but sell the content creator.
I hear you, but what SDI capable gear does Sony have? Its all broadcast..

If they left the SDI out, then theyd be excluding a HUGE demographic (were talkin ENG DSR users here whove been waiting for a cam like this before they jump ship) in addition to Indy and broadcast variables.
Theres also the exisiting 1/3rd HDV user base who rely on SDI... in fact, its teh SDI features which redeem certain camcorders "lack" of performance for certain uses.... the EX with SDI taps straight into that market as well..

Depending on HOW SDI out will work, it could either be costly (ie bypassing the compressor), or a "HDMI" type variant being its simply outputting whats being recorded (after compression).
The latter would be cheaper and id agree with your comment if this is the case in how the EX uses SDI, but the former, well if it can output uncompressed (which i doubt... i assume it will follow along the existing 422 output), but if it did then not only would it outshine the F330 and F350, but also every other 1/2 cam on the market.. i dont think Sony would let a smaller camera do this, as it would eat away at their larger ENG XD market
Why go a 350 when an EX can offer more output options?

If it does output uncompressed 1920x1080p then it will change the way many TV shows are filmed today

SDI out is HUGE... but its not needed for most people.. especially the lower end user of this cam, and im sorry to say but that includes the event and wedding videographers.. Most of these guys will be paying for a function they most likely wont ever use.. then again, that can be said for many NLEs and other cameras too.. but i not to THIS extent..
Old September 6th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #52
Regular Crew

Does anyone else have a link to the 'EX' brochure?
I've been trying to download it for the past couple hours here and it's going extremely slow.
Justin Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 11:58 AM   #53
Major Player

Be patient, I also had to try 3 times to download it. I guess everyone want it! ;-)
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #54
Regular Crew

Is it possible for someone to list it as an attachment 'here' or would that violate DVi terms?

I've been 'stalled' on the download now for 4 hours at 71KB of 3.5MB
Justin Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #55
Inner Circle

I hope we will see some variants of the EX. Obvious options are no SDI, then restrictions to 25Mbs with 19VBR as the second speed for long recording. This latter one would be a good transition from the HDV line and one I would be interested in as "addicted amateur" to go with my FX1!!!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:20 PM   #56
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Carlson View Post
Is it possible for someone to list it as an attachment 'here' or would that violate DVi terms?

I've been 'stalled' on the download now for 4 hours at 71KB of 3.5MB

Similar problems here - I've been trying all day :(
Hedley Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:26 PM   #57
Major Player

I loaded the pdf to my website for you all to download. If this violates anything, please remove this post :)

http://www.zerocloud.com/PDWEX1_Brochure.pdf
Todd Giglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #58
Regular Crew

Thank you VERY much!
Old September 6th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #59
Regular Crew

I can't wait to see actual footage from this camcorder. It looks awesome! I sure hope Sony prices it within my reach. I like the fact that it has both auto and "true" manual focus. I wonder if there are going to be any issues with rolling shutter on the CMOS sensor, like some people have reported for the V1.
Robert Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #60
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Giglio View Post
I loaded the pdf to my website for you all to download. If this violates anything, please remove this post :)

http://www.zerocloud.com/PDWEX1_Brochure.pdf
VERY kind :) Thanks.
Hedley Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds