XDCAM EX review with frame grabs. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 6th, 2007, 10:18 AM   #1
Inner Circle

XDCAM EX review with frame grabs.

Here is another look at the EX. With a couple of frame grabs.

http://www.ingenioustv.com/xdcamex.asp
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:31 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Thank you.
Chris Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:31 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
Here is another look at the EX. With a couple of frame grabs.

http://www.ingenioustv.com/xdcamex.asp
Interesting. Three things caught my attention:

1. Cooling fan?!! It's going to be noisy, and I was counting on a dead-silent operation due to the lack of moving parts!

2. Peaking showing all or nothing; just like on my V1 (if not adjusted correctly with intensity and colour)

3. Expanded focus works while shooting!
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I would assume that the cooling fan is for the CMOS... considering it's using a DSLR type design, I wouldn't doubt that its there for that specific purpose... more than likely to cool a heat sink attached to the CMOS.

One reason DSLR sensors are so efficient (considering their size), is due to the power and cooling efficiency. One reason we haven't seen DSLR sensors in handycams is for this reason, the other being zoom reach and lens to sensor placement relative to zoom ratios.

Anyways... DSLRs don't require consistent power like this (video), but when they do fire, they chew up lots.

In this case, with the same spec as Sonys latest DSLR sensor I don't doubt that this temperature management is in place. Hell if it means having bigger sensors, all we need to do is mount a mic to offset that noise.

Personally, I'd rather have a noisy camera than one that might overheat.

In addition i doubt that the noise would exceed a standard tape transport noise level, I do however feel that the vent itself might be prone to blocking or intake of dust and sand etc, in turn, this could cause more problems later on such as fan vibration or inefficiency due to dust and blockage
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
1. Cooling fan?!! It's going to be noisy, and I was counting on a dead-silent operation due to the lack of moving parts!

Maybe it'll be electro static?
Justin Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks for your review.

Looks like they knocked one out of the park with this camera.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 12:28 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Most likely the fans are for the sensors....
CMOS sensors when they get hot produce thermal noise.....

you can see the noise crop up on DSLR camera's when long exposure modes are utilized due to the sensor heating...
at least one camera manufacturer manages the thermal noise by taking a
pre heat up exposure and compairing them to the long exposure and
subtracting the delta values of pre-heat to post-heat.

In theory this negates the thermal noise foot print......
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #8
Wrangler

FWIW, the full size XDCAM HD cameras also have a cooling fan. It's located near the back of the camera with vents on the rear of the handle itself. The only time it was ever noticed was by a soundie with cans on. It wasn't objectionable since the talent were 10 to 15 feet away, all with lavs and soundie operating boom for insurance. With the big camera, I suspect it's for cooling with the laser operating. Maybe true about the sensors on the smaller camera.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #9
Inner Circle

The fan was extremely quiet, in fact it was so quiet I never heard it. Noise from the fan is NOT going to be an issue. We are not talking PC cooling fans here, just a slow fan to prevent heat build up.
Old September 6th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
The fan was extremely quiet, in fact it was so quiet I never heard it. Noise from the fan is NOT going to be an issue. We are not talking PC cooling fans here, just a slow fan to prevent heat build up.
Thanks Alister - good to know. And yet, it's mechanical after all - and can become noisier with time...
Old September 6th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Alister,

Did you pull any of the footage straight from the cards into a NLE? With the talk I have seen of the wrapper being MP4 instead of MXF I am curious how the editing software is handling it. it would be a real downer to have to wait for a software revision to read the clips.

Thanks for all of the info and the screen grabs.

Kyle
Kyle Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 06:00 PM   #12
Regular Crew

http://www.ingenioustv.com/images/traingrab1.jpg

did you managed to shoot with its "progressive capability" ? on that grab you can see all the nasty interlacing.
Jason Strongfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Self View Post
Alister,

Did you pull any of the footage straight from the cards into a NLE? With the talk I have seen of the wrapper being MP4 instead of MXF I am curious how the editing software is handling it. it would be a real downer to have to wait for a software revision to read the clips.

Thanks for all of the info and the screen grabs.

Kyle
Exactly... Why the consumerish, MP4 wrapper? I was hoping for the true workflow of the XDCAM HD, so highly appraised by Simon and others - with FAM, etc. Yes, there is software provided for re-wrapping, but this is an extra step in the workflow. Who knows how efficient (time-consuming) is that?
Old September 6th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #14
Major Player

included software with the EX1 converts the MP4's to MXF.

thats from the brochure (by memory).
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 05:34 AM   #15
Major Player

Hi,
Does anyone know if the fan/air intake/out is well protected against dust/sand ingestation. I film alot of action sports in sandy/duty location and it's not uncommon for me to spend a day cleaning my camera after a shoot.

I think this fan may be a fatal floor for me. Any new would be grate.

Mark
Mark Hartopp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds