4:2:2 Workflow - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 8th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Thanks for your answers.

I have some questions about the 4:2:2 feed.

It seems the processing power is needed to convert the raw stream into a compressed, easier to edit stream.

Would it be less taxing to actually capture the raw stream and compress it after the fact, not in realtime?

Or would the raw 4:2:2 files be huge and take up too much space?

Thanks
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
Would it be less taxing to actually capture the raw stream and compress it after the fact, not in realtime?

Or would the raw 4:2:2 files be huge and take up too much space?
There is this trade-off of sorts that occurs between the two extremes. When you have uncompressed material, you need a wider I/O pipeline and more storage than you do CPU performance. When you work with highly compressed material, the opposite is true...more taxing on CPU, less I/O bandwidth and storage size.

With hard drive prices getting so cheap these days, I see no reason not to build a RAID set up and then you are looking at about $1000 for a decent capture card. Working with uncompressed helps maintain image integrity throughout the post process also.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:20 PM   #18
Major Player

Another option would be to use Cineform Prospect HD.

www.cineform.com

You can capture on a single drive without much trouble. It's a pretty good way to edit, especially for Premiere Pro users. I do believe they have other solutions for other NLE systems.
James Huenergardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 04:16 AM   #19
Regular Crew

So in order to make best use of the EX I'd have to:

Get CS3 and Prospect 2K for my Dell M90 (that has 4g ram) to get decent results editing HD.

I want to get this right as mistakes will be costly.
Think I may hold off on CS3 for the moment to see how soon they bring out support for the camera directly.
Aidan Wynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 09:01 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Thanks for the responses o this thread.

4:2:2 SDI sounds great, but seems like it is pretty intensive to get running.

So it looks like to aquire from the SDI port there are two ways to go:

Flash DXR - no computer needed, records on to CF cards, $5,000

Tether to a computer - needs a hardware card, software to go with the hardware card, and a computer.

Is there a piece of hardware that interfaces with a laptop for the second solution?

Thanks
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #21
Major Player

Aidan,

You should only need Prospect HD, not the 2K version.
Also, Prospect HD should be backward-compatible with PPro 2 as I downloaded the trial version with only PP2 installed, and it worked.

Another option would be to use the Black Magic Intensity Pro card along with Black Magic HD Link and a box like this: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ight=Intensity

Or you could use the same box with a Black Magic DeckLink HD Extreme.

This solution along with Cineform should work fairly well.

Jim
James Huenergardt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds