Various XDCAM EX posts from 2007 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 16th, 2007, 05:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Various XDCAM EX posts from 2007

Anyone going to the IOV show to see Sony's EX in the flesh, mid October, I am traveling down from Glasgow with Ali and his stunning camera women daughter to see all the new kit, we could have a DVi get together at an arranged time. I can only make day one which is Wednesday 17th October 07...
The venue is probably best known for hosting the Royal Show, Stoneleigh Park is situated on the B4113 Stoneleigh Road between Coventry and Leamington Spa.
George Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Sony SxSPro Spec Sheet

Sony SxSPro Spec Sheet

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan..._specsheet.pdf
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #3
Trustee

MITCORP Places Order For 100 XDCAM-EX Camcorders

http://www.broadcastbuyer.tv/publish...rs_13449.shtml
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 02:27 PM   #4
New Boot

does the lens breath?

Hi all,
would like to know from who already had the hands on the camera if the lens is showing breathing in focus racks, and if so in what amount (compared for example, with a fujinon stock lens on a jvc hd 100, wich in my opinion does breath a lot)
Thanks
Fabrizio
Old September 29th, 2007, 06:22 AM   #5
Regular Crew

How to ingest mpeg2 in MP4 wrapper?

Just ordered the EX1 and the delivery might be in november.
Now, how do I ingest this file into my NLE? I'm using SpeedEdit v1.2 on a notebook with ExpressCard slot.
Can I just play the MP4 wrapper in Media Player? Does it use DirectShow or should I install some other codec?

SpeedEdit doesn't allow me to create some MP4-wrapper testfile with mpeg2 settings for the video stream. Only mpeg4/aac. Is there another way to test this?
Some mp4 file with h264 codec that I've found on the internet played ok in SpeedEdit.

I need to know in advance because they let me check the camera first (rolling shutter vs SynthEyes) before actually buying.
Thank you for your help.

Last edited by Vincent Mesman; September 29th, 2007 at 06:57 AM.
Vincent Mesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 11:22 AM   #6
Trustee

Sony XDCAM EX links

Just in case you have not seen these:

http://ieba.wordpress.com/2007/09/18...-hd1000u-more/

http://translate.google.com/translat...%3Den%26sa%3DN
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 08:40 AM   #7
Major Player

720P/50 workflow

I've taken the plunge and ordered one of these things. I've never used overcranking before as it's not a feature on my XH-A1, so I have a few questions for those of you who have shot XDCAM material in the past.

1. How does the workflow work in FCP? For instance, If I'm shooting 1080p/25 material and decide I need some slowmo footage, overcranking would change the res to 720p/50. How does this come in to the FCP sequence? I assume it will upscale, but will it come in at half speed or at normal speed with twice the framerate?

2. If I decided to shoot everything at 720p/50 so that I could use good quality slow-mo footage at any time, how much work is envolved in post to conform everything back to 720/25p? Does this result in FCP having to render everything for transitions etc or can framerate be changed during the transfer process?

3. If the camera is recording at 720p/25, does it fit more footage on the cards than 1080p or does it use the additional available bandwidth to compress the footage less?

Thanks for any input.

regards

Paul.
Old October 25th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #8
Regular Crew

info on Canadian Release

Hi Guys, i live in Toronto, do you know an estimate Canadian release date and price info of the XDcam EX?

Thanks
H
Herminio Cordido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 07:20 AM   #9
Regular Crew

A/V outlet

The EX1 manual clearly show an AV outlet.

The camera comes with an AV lead.

I presume if you wanted standard definition to edit with and were happy to capture from this lead as one continuous clip this would work?

I ask this because a friend of mine who wants to buy the camera would like to be able to continue using his existing SD edit suite.

Or would the fact that the S X S cards recording to FAT32 files mean that playing back the clip/ clips in the camera mean they are not continuous?
Greg Hawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 07:59 PM   #10
Major Player

What options for longer lens range?

If I got the EX I would want to take alot of wildlife shots and I'm worried the 14X lens won't cut it. Are there any tele lens available for the EX now or in the future? Or should I look to 35mm adapters? Any thoughts or opinions would be helpful. I know the XH1 is the king of wild life photography but I'd like to stick to tapeless.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 05:07 AM   #11
Tourist

XD CAM EX import on G5 machine

I know that sony clip viewer software runs only on Intel based machine.

I own a G5 Quad + FCP 5.0. Does anyone know if and how can I manage and import xd cam ex files, without ugrading to intel and/or ugrading to FCP 6 (FCstudio 2) ?

Franco
Franco Faddeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 05:10 AM   #12
Tourist

Importing on G5 Mac

I know that sony clip viewer software runs only on Intel based machine.

I own a G5 Quad + FCP 5.0. Does anyone know if and how can I manage and import xd cam ex files, without ugrading to intel and/or ugrading to FCP 6 (FCstudio 2) ?

Franco

P.S. sorry I oreviously misplaced this post on xdcam hd tread
Franco Faddeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #13
Trustee

Redrock M2 and the EX1

http://redrockmicro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4521
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 07:29 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Editing EX1 HQ 1080 files in Avid

At the moment there is no way of getting the EX1 HQ files to play nice with Avid Media Composer (Thats the only Avid I have tried on) when using the Sony Clip Browser and unwrap to .mxf.

But there is a way, I have posted somewhere about it before but I think it needs its own tread.

I sent some test footage to Olivier Amato who is involved in the ffmpeg development and he sent it to Baptiste Coudurier who is working on DNxHD for ffmpeg.

This is Baptiste's solution on how to use ffmpeg for EX1 .mp4 files and turn them into DNxHD .mov files that Avid Media Composer can import.

For 1080p25
ffmpeg -i inputfile.mp4 -vcodec dnxhd -b 185Mb -acodec pcm_s16le outputfile.mov

For 1080i50
ffmpeg -i inputfile.mp4 -vcodec dnxhd -b 185Mb -flags +ildct -acodec pcm_s16le outputfile.mov

You can use bitrates (the -b switch) 36, 120 and 185Mbit. 36Mbit is for progressive only.

And ffmpeg cant do DNxHD from 720p files yet.

This is a good place to look at DNxHD and ffmpeg.
http://www.itbroadcastanddigitalcine...#Encoding_VC-3

Last edited by Andreas Johansson; November 27th, 2007 at 11:37 AM.
Andreas Johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 10:47 AM   #15
Regular Crew

In-Camera CC (for kicks & curiosity)

To all PMW-EX1 (or soon-to-be) owners...

I am interested/curious to see just how much the in-camera settings can be used to 'push' the image in terms of lattitude / gamma / knee / saturation (etc).

Essentially, although most (all?) of us will tend or prefer to CC in the NLE (shoot flat and push in post) I can think that there may be some advantage (colour depth wise) to making use of the in-camera DSP to do most of the work for us.

TBO, I am also partly asking for the kicks of it - I'd love to see some extreme examples of the palette that the EX1 can throw out for a given scene.

For example, is there anything close to a bleach-bypass effect, Kodachrome or even reversal-stock (hi-grain) 'look' that can be acheived in-camera?

These aren't scientific tests I'm looking for, just any clips that show off the DSP functions - both at the subtle and extreme ends.

Please post relevant settings along with any clips/grabs.

BTW - No prizes for the best footage, other than a slightly smug feeling ! ;0)

Cheers,
Dave.

Dave - Broader Pictures
Dave Elston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds