Rolling Shutter: Is it less of an issue than with the V1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 23rd, 2007, 12:06 PM   #1
Major Player

Rolling Shutter: Is it less of an issue than with the V1?

Alister, or anyone else who's spent some time with the EX-1: Have you shot any shaky handheld stuff that might induce rolling shutter artifacts, otherwise known as "the wobbles"? Have you seen this problem at all?

Sony's promo literature claims that the new Exmor CMOS has faster readout capability, which I would presume to mean that the camera is less prone to the skews and wobbles that can be apparent in handheld footage from lower cost CMOS camcorders.

I'm not asking for absolute perfection in this area, but if it's basically the same as a V1, then that's a real concern.

Last edited by Barlow Elton; September 23rd, 2007 at 02:09 PM.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 01:14 PM   #2
New Boot

barlow,

according to D.W. Leitner at Digital Content Producer:

"Sony’s Exmor sensors introduce a new A/D strategy too, with pixel charges sent on a column basis to built-in A/D converters, akin to CCD shift registers."

so I am assuming that it acts more like a ccd imager rather than the typical
CMOS rolling shutter imager. But, I could be wrong.

rand
Randy Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 01:39 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I spoke to one of the EX engineers at IBC about this. His english wasn't great but from what I could gather there will be some skew artifacts. He said that the Exmore chips have a very fast readout and that any skew would be minimal, but as with all CMOS sensors the chip is read line by line.

I shot some footage out of the window of a moving train. When played back I certainly didn't notice anything odd. We were passing trees and telephone poles and I can't say that I saw any skewing of the poles. I have watched this footage over and over editing it for various demo reels and I have not seen anything obvious. There are whip pans and fast zooms and it all looks OK to me. When I get a moment I will pull some frame grabs from the moving train shots.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 02:29 PM   #4
Major Player

Thank you for the feedback. That's definitely encouraging. :)

Like I stated, I don't expect 100% freedom from the issue, but I certainly would hope for signifigantly less vulnerability to rolling shutter problems given the camera's pricepoint and lineage.

It sounds like Sony has at least taken the issue seriously and managed to lessen its impact.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 10:37 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Now, has anyone tracked with this camera? 3D or 2D is fine.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds