XDCAM and low light - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 16th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #46
Major Player

Here Here

I did not want to go where Adam went since my experience with the HVX totaled about 5 minutes. The venue was DARK and the entire time I had with the Panny was trying to get it to look like my Z. I gave up and handed it back to the owner.

Yes please brighten reality!!! I'll take that any day :) As I have mentioned the less wattage light I need the lighter my kit and the happier I am :)

As well as getting some candid shots otherwise not attainable with a big light.
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #47
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Williams View Post

Yes please brighten reality!!! I'll take that any day :)

"brightening reality" is a technical term I haven't previously encountered, so maybe someone will explain. Making people feel better about depressing circumstances, yes, OK, understood.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #48
Major Player

"Brightening Reality" is not a technical term Serena.

The old VX2000/PD 150 could see into a dark corner better than the human eye, wonderful for capturing intimate moments at weddings etc., and is what many of us have been wanting again.

The EX did manage to look as though it could achieve this to a small degree in the 1 minute play some of us had with it in Melbourne, when we took it off the tripod and pointed it to the opposite corner of the room and took a tight shot of a Pakistani? gentlemen who had no direct light on him at all.

Not quite a technical set up, but the 4 -5 of us that were craning to see the LCD were more than encouraged by what we saw, but of cause have no way of referencing that back to what we were really seeing, if you get my drift.

Cheers Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #49
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughan Wood View Post
"Brightening Reality" is not a technical term Serena.

The old VX2000/PD 150 could see into a dark corner better than the human eye, wonderful for capturing intimate moments at weddings etc., and is what many of us have been wanting again.

The EX did manage to look as though it could achieve this to a small degree in the 1 minute play some of us had with it in Melbourne, when we took it off the tripod and pointed it to the opposite corner of the room and took a tight shot of a Pakistani? gentlemen who had no direct light on him at all.
Thanks Vaughan for explaining what you were all meaning by the term and I can understand its usefulness when assessment time is short. However I'd be wondering how the brightness of the LCD was set, and do never myself set exposure by the appearance of that display. The addition of histogram and centre brightness reading on the EX in addition to zebras are very valuable facilities and much more reliable.

I expect your subject was Noel from Tasman AV (Indian). I noticed the group of you using it handheld. I think that was after I set it to Cinegamma 4 and wound up black stretch, but I can't really remember the sequence of events or whether I fully reset black stretch. Winding black stretch as far as 50 impressively brought up detail in shadows, but I could assess the quality of image only on the monitor and without time to be critical.
The easiest way to broadly assess low light capability (before you have the camera) is to check out lighting based on 800-1000 ISO. That will give good images without risk of artifacts. 2 stops more sensitive than the Z1/FX1 at 0 dB, or 1 stop less sensitive than the Z1 set at 18dB. Increasing gain to 18dB on the EX gives you an extra 3.5 stops, or 2.5 better than the Z1. So if you have given away your exposure meter you can use your Z1 to check out the appraisal you made on the day. In addition, on the EX, you can play with gamma and black stretch to push it further, but without testing I've no idea how far one can go without introducing unacceptable noise or the artifacts Bob mentioned. These will be important if you have to shoot under such conditions.
Old October 24th, 2007, 05:47 AM   #50
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Steuart View Post
The addition of histogram and centre brightness reading on the EX in addition to zebras are very valuable facilities and much more reliable.

I expect your subject was Noel from Tasman AV (Indian).
I am still getting up to speed on some of the EX information released. Are you saying there is a histogram/brightness graph or display in the LCD or it would be a good feature? I need to find more detailed literature on this. Invaluable tools, if included in the EX.

When I rang Tasman this morning, I landed Noel in sales and quickly struck a deal on the EX. Funny, small world, world wide forum. EX, I can't wait!

Thanks, feedback appreciated, Serena.
Christopher Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #51
Major Player

There is availability of both a histogram and/or brightness display in the LCD.
Get Noel to send you a brochure or download it from the sticky at the top of this forum

Cheers Vaughan
Old October 24th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #52
Regular Crew

Aust price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Barry View Post
I am still getting up to speed on some of the EX information released. Are you saying there is a histogram/brightness graph or display in the LCD or it would be a good feature? I need to find more detailed literature on this. Invaluable tools, if included in the EX.

When I rang Tasman this morning, I landed Noel in sales and quickly struck a deal on the EX. Funny, small world, world wide forum. EX, I can't wait!

Thanks, feedback appreciated, Serena.
So what did you pay?? Be great to know what the Aust price is turning out to be.

cheers
Wes Thomas Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #53
Regular Crew

Thanks Vaughan, I will dig deeper into the info already posted here.

Wes, Tasman bundled a few extras in their deal. Around AU$10k spent on their bundle, delivered.
Old October 25th, 2007, 12:51 AM   #54
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Thomas Greene View Post
So what did you pay?? Be great to know what the Aust price is turning out to be.

cheers
The camera (2 x 8Gb cards) can be bought for A$9K -- depends on your bargaining power. The RRP (initial offer) is A$10439.
Old October 25th, 2007, 01:47 AM   #55
Major Player

Wow Serena,

You better go and renegotiate mine for me (LOL)!

Cheers Vaughan
Old October 25th, 2007, 03:32 AM   #56
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughan Wood View Post
Wow Serena,

You better go and renegotiate mine for me (LOL)!

Cheers Vaughan
Ah, that wasn't my price! That was the interim outcome of the proposal I mentioned last week!
Old October 25th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #57
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Steuart View Post
Ah, that wasn't my price! That was the interim outcome of the proposal I mentioned last week!
Please tell me more about this proposal, Serena? I missed that reference. I may order a second cam sooner or later. Thanks.
Old October 25th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #58
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Also you must remember that each individual pixel is of a much smaller size on the EX1 than on the HVX, because of its number.
I was wondering about that myself, but if I calculate right it should be about the same given the increased chip size versus total number of pixels. And either way, one would hope that a larger sensor would yield some low-light advantage.

In regards to the test possibly being fudged or bungled, I'd say the HVX200 shot looks plausible at 0 db gain for any of the 1/3" chip HD cameras. Such cameras haven't been particularly good in low light, which is one of the big reasons people are interested in the EX1.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds