720 or 1080?, tell us what & why - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 13th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #16
Major Player

Many optical flow algorithms have a tough time with "occlusion" where one object crosses over another. This is because they attempt to track the movement of pixels and get confused when a pixel disappears.

They also have difficulty with repeating patterns, such as a complex wallpaper, and more random phenomena like rustling trees, fire, splashing water.

The system in FCP/Motion is based on the one in Shake, which is not so robust, but does well in general circumstances. I have used it with success if slowdown is not so severe or if the subject matter is simple. Otherwise it can be used for interesting warp effects!

Though I've never tried the system in AE, I am told that it is based on the Foundry's algorithms. These are much more robust and useful than Shake's. The Foundry (from the UK) is an amazing company with some great image processing technology and I think we will hear more from them in the prosumer area soon. If these algorithms become common in NLE's we'll have a lot more options for convincingly speed changing footage.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #17
Trustee

sure 720p may have a little less detail but it isn't as large as some would like you to think. People laways talk about 2 times more pixels but really that is all garbage. Sure it is more detailed but only slightly.

720p 24p has the advantage of using 2.5 times less frames then 720p 60p. So you will end up with much better compression. 35mbits/s is used no matter what format you shoot in. 1080p 24p would need over 60 mbits/s to equal the level of compression as 720p 24p.

720p also gives you more creative options in terms of framerates and slow motion. 1080p cannot do any slow motion at all. 1080i could but you are taking a massive quality hit and massive processing time involved.

720p 60p is much easier to encode then 1080i 60i. Mpeg2 handles progressive encoding much better then interlaced encoding. So even if you shoot 60p you should still see much less compression artifacts then you would with 1080i.

If you are shooting for a client that wants 1080i then shoot 1080i.
If you are shooting for a client that wants 720p then shoot 720p.

If you are shooting for yourself then you have to weigh the quality tradeoffs.

1080i will give you more image and compression artifacts but with that a little bit more crispness and extra detail.
720p will give you very few if any artifacts, smooth motion and a clean image but with slightly less detail.

There is no such thing as one is better then the other. They both offer tradeoffs in terms of quality and creative options.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 01:05 PM   #18
Regular Crew

They have a demo of some nice slow mo work done with twixter here....

http://www.revisionfx.com/products/twixtor/gallery/
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #19
Inner Circle

In Apple, both Motion and Compressor have Optical Flow ability. I haven't tested yet. I did use the one with Boris Continuum Complete and I too got strange warping. It has to do with how it's trying to predict motion to create new frames I believe. The issue has to do with the motion as one "object" passes another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham View Post
To be honest I've not had much success with these post production slow motion software in the past. I always find that they create strange warping effects if you try to go too slow.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds