Clamp on Mattebox at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 13th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Clamp on Mattebox

Is anyone going to be using a clamp on mattebox for their EX1? Is it worth the hassle and expense to get rods for a mattebox with a fixed lens?

I was looking @ http://www.cavision.com/pictures/EX1/EX1.htm
Chris Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Im going with the petroff... with 2 rotating filters - 1 pola / 1 grad that I use all the time.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...gle_Matte.html

there was also a mattebox comparison review - search google..
Greg Voevodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #3
Major Player

Filter fouling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Voevodsky View Post
Im going with the petroff... with 2 rotating filters - 1 pola / 1 grad that I use all the time.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...gle_Matte.html

there was also a mattebox comparison review - search google..
Do you know if the Petroff allows you to slide in filters from any angle? I was wondering how the microphone overhang of the EX1 interfered with installing filters?

Justin.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Benn View Post
Do you know if the Petroff allows you to slide in filters from any angle? I was wondering how the microphone overhang of the EX1 interfered with installing filters?

Justin.
On Negels review there was mention of a couple different matt box'

He indicated it would be best to insert the filters from the bottom side......

its about half way into the review....

http://www.dvuser.co.uk/content.php?CID=171

Last edited by Ray Bell; November 13th, 2007 at 09:50 PM.
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #5
Regular Crew

but does the petroff mount on rails or is it a clamp on?

The cavision mattebox is half the cost. Redrock micro is coming out with a mattebox also but it might be overkill for the EX1
Old November 13th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Greg, before you spend $1,600 on that I would make sure that the little upwardly-pointing thumscrew clamp isn't going to stop you rotating the EX's viewfinder out and round. I'd also check on the lens diameter that will fit into this unit.

The stages look like they pull out from the side so that should be OK but check on the direction/play of the rotating parts.

RE: Rails, I would think that a one or two stage MB with just a FFlap would be fine just clamped. If you want more stages or side flaps, I'd invest in rails for the extra weight.
Paul Ramsbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #7
Major Player

EX1 & RR mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Forbes View Post
but does the petroff mount on rails or is it a clamp on?

The cavision mattebox is half the cost. Redrock micro is coming out with a mattebox also but it might be overkill for the EX1
I asked RR about their mb and the new Sony and they seemed confident it would work. Seems like a nice price for all those features.

Justin.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
I asked RR about their mb and the new Sony and they seemed confident it would work. Seems like a nice price for all those features.

Justin.
Unfortunately It won't be available until Jan - Feb and it will only work with rods. No clamp on for that swing away beast.

I like the fact that the Petroff is expandable.
Old November 14th, 2007, 12:27 AM   #9
Panoramic

Quote:

Justin.
Where did you find a price, and how much was it? I've looked over the page and the forum, but didn't see even approximate prices.
Old November 14th, 2007, 04:34 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Paul,

I don't believe final pricing for the RR mattebox has been announced, the intial 'word' or expectation is that it should be around the $500-ballpark in the base configuration, which is the classic RR pricepoint.

Needless to say I'm already on the reserve list (despite already owning an adequate 2-stage Chrosizel MB).

More details here... http://www.redrockmicro.com/microMattebox.html

Thanks,
Dave.

Dave - Broader Pictures
Dave Elston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #11
Trustee

Is the Clamp on cameras necessary? and especially on this camera? Where is it advisable to use clamps?

Stelios
Old November 14th, 2007, 10:21 AM   #12
Panoramic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Elston View Post
Hi Paul,

I don't believe final pricing for the RR mattebox has been announced, the intial 'word' or expectation is that it should be around the $500-ballpark in the base configuration, which is the classic RR pricepoint.

Needless to say I'm already on the reserve list (despite already owning an adequate 2-stage Chrosizel MB).

More details here... http://www.redrockmicro.com/microMattebox.html

Thanks,
Dave.
I hope we can see more detailed pics before it is offered to those on the reserved list, which includes me. I am leery of low priced matteboxes. The design of the TLS Kestrel shown in the article looks suspiciously like my first mattebox, the Formatt, which I cannot recommend, though I like their filters.

So far, I am very impressed with the Focas(sp?), which Bernie Mitchell uses on his Pana HVX200-it has a nice wireloop shoulder-stock built in to the rail mounts, strikes me as good value and as competent as the best of the others.
Old November 14th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides View Post
Is the Clamp on cameras necessary? and especially on this camera? Where is it advisable to use clamps?

Stelios
"Clamp-on" refers to matte boxes that have a ring that screws into the threads on the front of the lens. Then the matte box clamps onto that ring. So the weight of the matte box is being supported by the lens (more to the point, by the threads on the front of the lens)

Most larger more professional setups are supported by rods.
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ramsbottom View Post
Greg, before you spend $1,600 on that I would make sure that the little upwardly-pointing thumscrew clamp isn't going to stop you rotating the EX's viewfinder out and round. I'd also check on the lens diameter that will fit into this unit.

The stages look like they pull out from the side so that should be OK but check on the direction/play of the rotating parts.

RE: Rails, I would think that a one or two stage MB with just a FFlap would be fine just clamped. If you want more stages or side flaps, I'd invest in rails for the extra weight.
Hi Paul, thanks for the warning. I forgot to mention that I will be using Sony's wideangle lense that should push the mattbox out in front of the mic... or at least on stage of it for my Grad filter - that I use for the sky. The Pola can go in and rotate around underneath.

Also you guys might want to luck at Zacato.com - and their small front rail system that you could mount whatever mattebox on and follow focus is needed.
Greg Voevodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:56 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Voevodsky View Post
Hi Paul, thanks for the warning.
Welcome, just FYI, you may see some vignetting at the widest focal length using this MB with the WA adapter, at least that was the view of Cavision when I talked to them about their product.
Paul Ramsbottom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds