When will the bugs be shaken out? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 18th, 2007, 07:31 PM   #1
Major Player

When will the bugs be shaken out?

As someone who is looking to upgrade cameras and was investigating the Sony V1 and Panny HVX200, it's entertaining to see all the back and forth about the new Sony models before they have even hit the streets!

When do you think a proper evaluation of the new Sonys (side by side with other models) will be avaialble?

How long to identify and eliminate bugs? Would it be safe to say that we'll know by January how they stack up to the competition.? Looking to make a purchase decision by January.

Thanks
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 09:51 PM   #2
Major Player

That is a very interesting question. Glad you asked. Actually impossible to answer. The general mantra is "never buy the initial release of anything". We may not get the cameras by January (I hope that's wrong!) and any we do will certainly be initial configuration. Those of us seduced by the specification have thrown all caution out the window, so you might be hearing from a lot of sadder and wiser DPs. But, of course, I'm betting on being delighted. The reviews are uniformly encouraging. If we do get the camera next week, then you'll have a lot of stuff to evaluate before January. Once available I presume you would test and evaluate before buying. And very likely back orders will make you wait longer.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I have one of the first V1Us delivered last December. If the EX1 is as reliable as my V1 has been then I'm sure people will be very pleased.

When I have access to the EX1 (soon hopefully) I'll be putting it up against my V1. Specifically I'll be looking to show the difference between HDV and 35mb VBR.

I'm sure I'll be shooting stuff to show the resolution difference.

If anyone has something specific they want tested let me know.
Old November 18th, 2007, 11:45 PM   #4
Major Player

Chris, I would love to see some footage of fast motion like Sports for instance or even fast moving traffic, comparing the HDV and 35mb VBR of the EX.
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 12:55 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
I have one of the first V1Us delivered last December. If the EX1 is as reliable as my V1 has been then I'm sure people will be very pleased.

When I have access to the EX1 (soon hopefully) I'll be putting it up against my V1. Specifically I'll be looking to show the difference between HDV and 35mb VBR.

I'm sure I'll be shooting stuff to show the resolution difference.

If anyone has something specific they want tested let me know.
I got the V1U when it released as well. Its been a rock. I have lugged the camera all over the world! I would bet the same thing, that the EX is just as reliable if not more. Mine should be here in the next couple of weeks!
Winston Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 01:13 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
I have been one of the 1st V1E owners (bought it from UK source) and had the issue with the first software (blurry details in progressive mode). Sony has sent a courier for the cam, upgraded the software then sent back within a week.
If you buy from reliable source and have the Silver Support (or such) you wont be dissatisfied even if there would be a bug around.
Old November 19th, 2007, 09:11 AM   #7
Major Player

There does seem to be this idea that one should wait until certain fixes and revisions have been made. However, I'm not certain that actually works...

Cameras are very rarely released with any major flaws. Any problems that would impact sales or result in units being returned usually get addressed before release (sometimes causing release dates to get pushed back).

Camera manufacturers have to make a whole bunch of compromises in the design process (resolution vs low light is one that we've been particularly aware of since the start of the HD revolution). Sometimes they misjudge the balance and an issue comes up. Some manufacturers choose to issue firmware updates (if the issue can be fixed that way). But generally it seems that if you buy an "A" version of the camera on day one, you get exactly the same camera if you buy an "A" version a year later... Some manufacturers perform incremental upgrades (eg. DVX100A/B/C) but most just let the problems ride until the camcorder is obsoleted (eg. Z1 24CF).
Old November 19th, 2007, 09:20 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Leith View Post
Cameras are very rarely released with any major flaws. Any problems that would impact sales or result in units being returned usually get addressed before release (sometimes causing release dates to get pushed back).
I agree with Alex; even suspect something must have been found in the first batch of the EX1 - hence the worldwide delay (in Europe, we were hoping for the fist deliveries almost 2 weaks ago!)

I also second what Zsolt has said; in fact I also was one of the first European V1E owners. The comfort that the door-to-door Prime Support is offering is (almost) worth the premium in price we Europeans have to pay compared to the US prices.

Bottom line is: if I were to wait until the EX1 is well established, all potential problems solved and even the street price reduced - I'd probably never buy it, as newer and "better" cameras would probably have been announced in the meantime...
Old November 19th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Bottom line is: if I were to wait until the EX1 is well established, all potential problems solved and even the street price reduced - I'd probably never buy it, as newer and "better" cameras would probably have been announced in the meantime...
This is a good point. The wait could go on forever and one would never buy.
Even hearing about the so call RED "pocket cam", I'm not sure what this is implying, but it may be a scaled down RED. It may possibly shoot a 2K image in a portable package like the EX1, who knows.... Well, I guess RED would. LOL

Well, I'm not waiting to find out. There's plenty of work out there that the EX1 will excel in.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds