I have my Camera - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 26th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #61
Trustee

Great, let us know how it works. Maybe a frame grab or more. :)
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:08 AM   #62
Regular Crew

Oh I just cant keep quiet anymore :)

I guess this will make some of you jealous or even start to dislike us :)

We got a new batch of cameras delivered yesterday, photo at ex.bolanski.com.

And a Sony PR guy called and did a phone interview with Per-Axel about our investment in new cameras for the University.

/Andy
Andreas Johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:14 AM   #63
Inner Circle

The top one on the left pile was supposed to me mine :)
Old November 27th, 2007, 08:06 AM   #64
Trustee

Wow,
It must be nice to be rich guys! LOL
Old November 27th, 2007, 08:11 AM   #65
Inner Circle

Just received an email that my EX1 ships tomorrow.

I have started to build a custom alum shoulder brace with a two gyro setup. I will post pictures once it is built and is working well with the camera.
Old November 27th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #66
Major Player

Just picked up my cam. and 16gb card. I willTry to post some clips today or tomr.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 10:31 AM   #67
Trustee

Thanks Brian. I'm looking forward to it.
Mine should be here tomorrow.
Fortunately, I have this week off!
Old November 27th, 2007, 11:00 AM   #68
Major Player

FYI....

I just got word from abelcine that they have not received their shipment yet.... and that they are not getting as many as promised by sony. They say that a big reseller in NY got the lions share.

I'm apparently #1 on the list to receive.... we will see.
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #69
Major Player

Just got mine - #122

First Impressions:

It's a real tour de force of design and engineering - I'm referring to the box it came in. Some of the most complex cardboard sculpture I've ever seen in any kind of packaging.

Tiny! The camera is much smaller than I thought it would be - about 10% smaller than I had thought - feels compact and solid. Doesn't have the hollow "toaster" feel of the HVX.

No one mentioned the clever integral matte box lens cover - pretty neat and good for those of us tired of sending $50 checks to Panasonic.

LCD screen is amazingly sharp - just the setup screen was impressive.

I agree with the handholding criticisms - the handgrip strap seems slightly wrong. The camera is heavier than you would expect when you first lift it, though it is still pretty light.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #70
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
It's like I put my F350 in the washing machine on boil, then tumble dried it and it shrunk but also came out smarter!

As I have said earlier I am going to see how well it works as an F350 replacement, not just a B camera on a 5 day shoot across Britain next week. Lots of flying so it's ideal.

Hey Phil, Have you tried to fly the EX1 on your Merlin?
Brian Ladue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #71
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
I really believe these cams are going to make awesome event cams.
I can't wait to do a multicam live concert shoots with a couple EX1 cams!
I had two concerts to shoot, one in NYC at the Hammerstein and one in Atlanta, 11/10 and 11/16. Budget indicated the EX1, but I couldn't find any.

We stretched and I called in favors from my friends that own 350s, so it became 5 camera F350 in the end...which worked out ok :-)

I would have really loved to have some EX1s there though to replace the floating V1s we had. Oh well. Next job.
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #72
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Ladue View Post
Hey Phil, Have you tried to fly the EX1 on your Merlin?
Not yet...on my list after trying the extreme on it!
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #73
Trustee

Good to hear from you Nate!
The F350 is one heck of a camera. I bet the EX1 would work well for on stage shots. We've used a couple HD100 cams in the past. It worked ok, but a bit noisy and light hungry. If anyone knows about the HD100, it would be you.

Are you multitracking yourself, or does another company provide the two track master?
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #74
Wrangler

I'll try not to derail this thread too badly.

Quote:

Good to hear from you Nate!
The F350 is one heck of a camera. I bet the EX1 would work well for on stage shots. We've used a couple HD100 cams in the past. It worked ok, but a bit noisy and light hungry. If anyone knows about the HD100, it would be you.
Over the last few years, I've learned that HDV cameras are generally not that great for concert work, with the sensitivity issues compared to 1/3" DV cams. It's a tough call, great looking resolution downconverted to SD if you find that you have enough light, or bad grain/gain issues if you find yourself on the unlucky side of the lighting levels. I used the HD100 on just one concert, and moved on.

Quote:
Are you multitracking yourself, or does another company provide the two track master?
Generally we hire a portable ProTools rig and an engineer to record night of show, and then session is handed off to mixer/producer of the band's choosing.

Bigger bands are increasingly recording every night's performance because it's so easy and cheap to do so, all you need is a $3k hard disk multitracker and a stack of bare drives.

This particular band was carrying their own ProTools rig for every show, and they will get me final mixes.
Attached Thumbnails
I have my Camera-img_5426.jpg  
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #75
Regular Crew

Just got mine #149!

Fisrt thoughts... dont like little pigtail wire on battery charger for camera power... Canon has the better idea with a detachable cord.

Hand grip is harder to use one handed, I like the rotating feature just wish there was more to hold on to.

Havent had a chance to do anything but record bars and try with my macbook pro to FCut.. worked like a charm

Chuck
Chuck Wall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds